1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top right-handed hitter anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess I should have put Sheffield in blue font. I wasn't serious about him at all. If you are looking for proper weight transfer, look no further than Albert Pujols. He is the paradigm of hitting.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1) One full stride closer to 1B.

2) LHB have the platoon advantage over RHP -- about 70% of the pitchers in the majors are righties, the percentage is higher in HS and youth ball.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I actually meant mechanically, sorry. Just seems lefties have such sweet swings. Ted Williams, Gwynn, Will Clark, Junior Griffey, Edmonds.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Maybe I am off base here (pardon the pun), but maybe it is because right field always was shorter than left field, so lefty swingers did not have to violently hack at the ball to get it to go out?

Griffey has one of the best swings in the game. I also like the rockaway Edmonds does after connecting.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enos Cabell.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It was a joke. He played in the 70s and 80s and wasn't very good.

8. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

What's wrong with A-Rod's swing?

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Sheffield and Vlad are obviously examples of guys who have approaches that you could not teach to anyone.

Lefties do seem to have the prettiest swings, Clark, Griffey, Justice.

Can't go wrong with Pujols or Manny and I think Piazza is a good example of a guy who doesn't pull the ball.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Playing where he does, it's hard to definitively argue anyone other than Pujols and ARod as a better right-handed hitter than Cabrera.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Pujols is clearly better than Rodriguez and Cabrera, if you want to go by adjusted OPS. I know, I know ... that's the tool of the devil.

12. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

I will second the earlier mention of Edgar. Mechanically sound, hit the ball to all fields, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted