1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top right-handed hitter anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. Send one rat and you're labeled for life....

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

BBAM, I think we think too similarly.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What, Pujols is some punch-and-judy guy now?

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Clark had one of the best swngs I've ever seen. I like Jim Edmonds' swing too.

As far as righties, Pete Rose was a switch hitter wasn't he? So could use him. Piazza?

How about somebody small like David Eckstein to illustrate proper technique. Otherwise, how would be be there.

How come lefties have all the best hitters.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Very, very true. I was hoping for a bunch of names, that way I can give the kids a choice on the matter. I would want the kids to see a hitter that isn't a pure masher (though HR power is always nice), but someone that consistent drives the ball into both gaps & has few holes in his swing.

And yes Bob, I, too, am frustrated that many of the great swings in baseball belong to lefties. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't leave too many good templates for righties.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He'll never win a Triple Crown, but Aaron Hill's fundamentals are pretty strong.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Everyone was answering seriously. Someone needed to be the smartass. ;)

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Gary Sheffield. End of thread.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Because the important thing with anything you teach to young kids is to show them the right way to do it first. Maybe they will eventually drift toward something different that works better for them, but start with solid fundamentals as the groundwork.

That's for swinging a bat, throwing a football, putting up a jump shot...or non-athletic things such as writing. If you don't have the strong foundation, your chances of success are diminished. And as far as the fun argument? Sports are more fun when you are good at them.

Guerrero's approach may seem like fun, but think about how few players can pull that off?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd agree. man, what a pure hitter.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Whatever pitcher would face the kids would be scared to death knowing their next pitch might be their last.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Two huge things I have against Sheffield's mechanics. The results he produces are amazing, but...:

1) That bat-waggle is insane. The last thing I, or any responsible coach, would need is some kid trying to wag his bat like a metronome in order to generate momentum.

2) Sheff is a little too upright for my liking. I'm a guy that prefers a wider stance, which eliminates the need for much of a leg-kick. That way, the eye-level stays the same, the ball doesn't seem to jump up & one less thing to focus on doing. One short, subtle step so you have a proper weight-transfer is all you need. An extreme version of this is Nomar's non-step.

Draft saved Draft deleted