1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top right-handed hitter anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 28, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm about to start helping a neighbor's kids (12, going on 13) with hitting and both are right-handed hitters. Could you guys rattle off some names of some great, fundamentally sound righties in the Majors today? Manny's a given, but what about guys like Magglio Ordonez, Miggy Cabrera, Pujols or Holliday? The main things I'm concerned about are: are the hitter's mechanics sound? Do they usually deliver good results? Is the hitter disciplined? Does the hitter have a history of success?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Pujols hands down. Manny is good too, although as a Yankees' fan ( :'( ) it's blasphemous for me to say that.

Right?

3. Big Game

Big Game Member

Vladimir Guerrero doesn't need good mechanics or plate discipline. He just rakes.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Ryne Sandberg is pretty much textbook.

Kirby Puckett? Cal Ripken?

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

When I tell these kids what hitters to observe, I want them to see good habits, not hacking at everything within arms' reach like Vlad does. I also want them to relate to the good hitters of today, since they're able to watch them on TV. Once they get older, I'd throw in names like Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas (in his prime) & Paul Molitor.

I know little about Puckett as far as the quality of his swing, but Ripken has even said himself that his stance changed season to season, so I don't think it would be good to use him as an example. Jeter may produce great results, but I wouldn't want to teach his swing & approach to many kids. And is A-Rod's mechanics/approach something you would want your sons to follow?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Shiiiiiit, Ripken changed his stance every at-bat.

If you want good mechanics, go with Pujols. Or better yet, go with a lefty like Griffey or the sweet-swinging Will Clark and have the kid mirror it right-handed.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Yount, Robin.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dave Kingman.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Great role model if you want the kid to turn into a raging, anti-social meat-head.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would go with Pujols if you want to mimic the correct fundamentals. If you want the kids to blast moonshots out of the dirt or at their heads, go with Vlad.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. Pujols
    2. Cabrera
    3. Manny

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

How 'bout we let the kids decide? If they want fundamentals, watch A.Pujols. If they want moonshots, watch Vlad. We're here for the kids, let's not forget that.

Draft saved Draft deleted