1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top nine stories of '09

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is coming straight from memory. I hope I haven't made any horribly embarrassing omissions. What else big has happened in 2009 that I forgot?

1. White House party crashers expose security gap

2. Fort Hood shootings tragedy stuns nation

3. Tiger Woods drives life into the rough

4. Michael Jackson dies

5. Economy suckage continues

6. The Sarah Palin craze

7. Escalation in Afghanistan

8. Teabaggers, birthers, and deathers run amok

9. Balloon boy hoax, (Who the hell is Wolf?)

Honorable mention: Health care debate goes on, and on, and on...; Sotomayor ascends to Supreme Court; Swine flu; Obama's suprise Nobel Prize; Notre Dame burns through another football coach; Obama inauguration marks historic event; Kanye crashes VMAs

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Browns beating Steelers has to be on the list. :D

3. Point of Order

I was trying to think of what the biggest sports stories of the year might be and it was pretty damn hard. I can't recall much earth-shattering sports news this year.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I am making no political comment when I say: Sarah Palin belongs nowhere near the list of biggest stories, and certainly not before health care.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the party crashers certainly don't make any list of top news stories of the year.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Right behind Cutler being traded and buying a comb, correct? :D

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yankees win World Series.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Real men don't use combs.

9. Point of Order

How do you figure that? Two reality show wannabe clowns breach what should be the tightest security in the world and crash an official state dinner. A Congressional investigation is launched, heads to roll at Secret Service, and White House staffers come under fire. I understand an argument that it might not the biggest story of the year, but it's gotta be on the list.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If it had happened in March, nobody would be considering it top-20. It's just fresh in our minds.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For top sports stories, you've got to have Meb Keflezighi winning the NY Marathon, Yanks winning the series, Steelers, Kobe, Federer, Tiger....

I'd throw all of the reality show crap in the same category. Is it important? No. Did it receive more coverage from legit news agencies than every other item in the top 10? Yes. So news orgs can't try and say it's a legit story enough to run Monday through Friday and then ignore it at the end of the year.

12. Point of Order

Good call on the American winning the Boston Marathon.

I don't see the party crasher story as a reality show story, I see it as a failure-to-adequately-safeguard-the-life-of-the-President story.

Draft saved Draft deleted