1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top NFL broadcasters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MCEchan36, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Joe Buck is terrible. I honestly have a hard time with games he calls because he exudes so much ego. It's a shame too, because Aikman's a great color guy.

2. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

I actually watched the Niners game last week that Palmer was doing. He did a pretty good job (and for what I was expecting it was awesome). Good analysis. Good points. I was surprised.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Frankly, I didn't understand the reasoning behind moving Nantz from the studio to the #1 spot at CBS. I thought Gumbel and Simms were a pretty good team, as it was.

And the decision to give Joe Buck the job as host of FOX's pregame show was misguided, at best. Whenever Curt Menefee fills in, it seems the team is more harmonious.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I didn't like the breakup of Gumbel-Simms and now the breakup of Enberg and Dierdorf. Thought they worked well together, though I've never been a Dierdorf fan. I'm sick of Buck's smarminess.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Please!

Give me Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network and some other scrub any day. Jamie is slept on, but he's coming up. NOBODY makes me roll while providing great analysis.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Forgive my suburbaness, but what the hell does that mean?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There should be a Scoop-to-English dictionary.

8. rolling

rolling Member

I like Kevin Harlan a lot. He's with Gannon now, but I thought he and Randy Cross made a nice tandem. Haven't heard enough of Gannon, yet.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Greg Gumbel has the distinction of being both one of the worst studio hosts and play-by-play announcers. He was the master of giving you a score with no information as a host; as an announcer he always says "this side" ... (an annoyng trait his brother seems to also have, although Bryant was a good studio host) who gives a damn what side is "this" way to you. Just call the f-ing game. Or better yet, don't. It's better when he's silent.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well, this side is also the side you the viewer are watching on. It's like on radio when the announcer says "team x going left to right on your radio dial." Just helps.

And in heaven, Kevin Harlan will forever have lost his voice from all his screaming, and thus unable to call the games played by the old timers like Bronco Nagurski and Jim Thorpe.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

I think you should take Bob Costas and Bill Murray and put them in the booth together. Costas knows how to be funny, and Murray might like to take a real crack at football instead of golf or the Cubs.

If nothing else, it would be a lot of fun. And much better than Dennis Miller, Jimmy Kimmel, Joe Theismann or Tony Kornheiser ever brought to the table.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Listening to Kevin Harlan call the Browns-Falcons game a couple weeks ago, I noticed he really goes out of his way to point out what personnel packages (not to be confused with anybody's personal package) teams send out on the field before each play. That's gotta be worth a 1 1/2 letter-grade bump in Dr. Z's season-ending announcer ratings.

Draft saved Draft deleted