1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top NFL broadcasters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MCEchan36, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I was checking out Page 2 (I was very bored at work today) and I read Simmons' column. Surprisingly, it's not that bad, and I think it echos a lot of the complaints I see on this site. Have a look:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061201

What do you think? Any of you have good ideas for a broadcast team?

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I actually like Buck-Aikman.

Aikman has no schtick, and he sticks to the football stuff, and he doesn't put a happy face on everything.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

I agree with Marv Albert as well. I was actually kind of curious as to why he wasn't even considered after NBC hired Madden and Michaels was in limbo. And yes, I'm aware of his past transgressions, but that was almost 10 years ago, no?

In my book, Marv's the best play-by-play guy ever.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Has anyone else heard Jesse "The Bachelor" Palmer call games yet? If so, is there really anything in between the ears?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Right now, Jesse gets stuck with the shitpile games. So I haven't heard him yet.

6. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Oh, how awesome is it that Summerall is back in the booth? Yeah, he's been exiled to the Rams - Cards, but still... it's Summerall!

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Chris Boniol was unavailable for comment.

8. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Compared to the rest of the available talent out there, you should understand why I'd be excited. I have less memory of what good broadcasting is supposed to be, as opposed the rest of yous guys.

9. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Tommy is dead on. The Marv Alberts - Boomer Esiason pairing is one of the best I've heard.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The last thing I remember about Summerall was him really struggling on an ESPN game when Mike Patrick was out (with a heart problem or some such ailment if I recall).

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've become so fed up with Buck now that he sits there and demands that you know how cool he is and how good he is behind a mic. The Holiday Inn commercials put it over the top. Aikman on the other hand does a great job providing color. As does Phil Simms.

BTW this list absolutely can not include Bryant Gumbel.

12. beardown

beardown Member

I think Gumbel is a solid studio host. But I'm not real fond of his pairing with Collinsworth. I don't think they connect well and Gumbel sounds like he hasn't done football since Landry.

I think, unfortunately, the analysts are better than the play-by-play announcers now. Aikman and Dierdorf are pretty good. If Vermeil does more than three games, he'll be the best by far.

Draft saved Draft deleted