1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top MLB beat writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Franchise, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Frank doesn't require a lot of motivation.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He had a great quote today, after firing Wetteland as his bullpen coach. Wetteland apparently still wanted to be one of the boys, pulling pranks and shooting off firecrackers and all, instead of being a coach.
    He was asked if he thought it would bother his relievers.

"Maybe it will make them mad enough to get someone out," he said.

Love that Frank.

3. JME

JME Member

Disagree. His gamers are bookish for sure, but it's very good writing. It's not like it's just flowery prose with no point. It flows very well and is fresh and informative. Would you rather just read a bunch of play by play and cliches? I'm very impressed by his ability to produce that stuff on deadline.

I'm not sure about the other stuff, I haven't noticed him being beat a lot but I don't read the MLB.com guy.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

5. JME

JME Member

Theo Roosevelt?
    Tara Reid?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Topkin approaches that beat like it's the Red Sox, and that's part of what makes him so good.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Toronto Star's guys are good, particularly Geoff Baker, who won APSE and a National Newspaper Award this year.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They don't make then like the classy Maury Allen or the acerbic Henry Hect any more. They both covered the Yankees in the Bronx Zoo era for the Post. Heny Hect seemed like he could really get under players skin.

9. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

If Bill Madden from the Dailiy News is anywhere out here, please tell a couple of your favorite Billy Martin-Henry Hecht stories.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I like all the Jays' beat guys, it's tough for me to pick out one that's better than the others. Larry Millson of the Globe has been covering the Jays for years and, while I've never found Bob Elliott of the Sun to be the best writer, his Sunday notebook is always full of good stuff.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Many excellent ball writers: Gordon Edes is becoming a favorite the past couple years. Ken Rosenthal and Bob Nightengale are great reporters, too. Ron Blum, Dave Sheinin, Tim Brown, Murray Chass, all excellent, too. Geoff Baker is another guy whose stuff is a cut above. I'm sure I've neglected some other terrific baseball guys.

Someone mentioned that Ringolsby is a lot like Gammons. Good comparison. Both are legendary reporters and neither can write worth a lick. I also get the feeling, however, that people in their vast networks of sources seem to use them to float rumors and throw disinformation out there.

The absolute worst out there is Hal Bodley. Nice enough guy but he should have disappeared about the same time as Pete Rose.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I seem to recall Billy accusing Hecht of eavesdropping on a conversation from a bathroom stall. I have absolutely no idea whether that story is true, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted