1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top five worst college football coaches to deal with?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Aug 20, 2009.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

I just read in another thread someone said Saban was top five. I have a friend who covered him while he was at Michigan State and from what I heard he had to be #1. So who are your top five?

2. Active coaches only? Or all-time tight asses?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would put Joe Paterno in there. He was decades ahead of his time in successfully shutting out access to the media.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It says something that the two guys with the worst reputations --- Saban and Weis --- both learned under Belichick, who learned under Parcells ...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bill Snyder is the runaway winner. No one is even close.

Saban would be up there. So would Paterno. Urban Meyer is legendary already for being a dick. Hal Mumme would make the list.

6. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

George O'Leary

7. partain

partain Member

I was in college at the time, but Ray Perkins wasn't much fun to deal with. Of course, if I was an ex-Alabama coach who suddenly found myself coaching Arkansas State, I guess I wouldn't be much fun either. They were just a few years into Division 1-A and hadn't won more than 3 our 4 games a season since moving up. Yet, Perkins thought people were spying on him and got donors to hand over $70,000 to build a privacy fence around his practice field.

Hard to believe he lasted just one football season--and less than a full year--on campus.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He was the same way at Alabama FWIW. The nickname "Perk the Jerk" long preceded his Arkansas State tenure.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

Parcells was tutored by Perkins.

10. WFL nerd

WFL nerd Guest

1. Ray Perkins
    2-5. Also Ray Perkins

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bob Stoops should probably be on this list too...

The two easiest questions are, who is the best and who is the worst?

The best is Bobby Bowden and it's not close. Hell, up until recently the guy still answered his own phone. Tuberville, Leach and Carroll are also very good from what I've seen.

The worst is Snyder. Maybe he's mellowed since his first stint as KSU coach, but if he was 100 times easier to deal with now than then, he's probably still the worst. There was a time when the only time the KSU beat writers could get him was postgame and on the Big 12 conference call. There used to be a running joke as to how long Snyder would stay on the conference call before hanging up. Mumme was the same way when he was at Kentucky.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Leach? The same guy who only made his offensive and defensive captains available to the media for an entire season? Yeah, the team's fun to watch (notwithstanding the four-hour games on deadline) and he's quotable on his own, but that's a dick move. Maybe he's honorable mention compared to some of the others mentioned, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted