1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Tejas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Starting with 29 chefs divided into three groups (why not 30 total?) They'll be pared to 16 in the first two episodes, and then it goes to the conventional format. Tonight was the first night. The first two groups competed. Of those 19 chefs therein, 11 were promoted to the main competition, four were eliminated (one for a bad butcher job on a slab of pork even before he got a chance to cook, one for spilling the soups on the plate, one for forgetting to put the rabbit on the plate when it was a rabbit dish), and four were put on the bubble, which I assume means they'll be part of some cookoff for 1-2 spots.

Emeril Lagasse is part of the judging panel, and he doesn't seem as if he'll add much constructive. Hugh Atcheson is supposed to be on the next episode as a regular judge, and I'm looking forward to that. He was right to the point and funny as hell with his dry approach on his week of judging of Just Desserts.

Hard to tell much of a trend so far. Two co-workers at a Chicago restaurant seem to have the bromance slot covered. And they advanced the guy who will fill the intimidating black chef role (he's an ex-con who now runs a seafood joint in North Carolina). Lots of tats being sported, too.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's "Tejas?"

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Texas, in Spanish

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I craved that pork skin ravioli with balsamic and peppercorn. That sounded drool-worthy.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Hugh was so good on the all-stars that I wondered where he'd turn up again. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten his own show yet.

And if you're ever in Athens, go to 5 & 10, his restaurant in Five Points. Very good stuff. My folks go there at least once a week.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The arrogant but nerdy kid being eliminated before he even lit a fire was pretty funny. I was already annoyed with him and it only took him three or four minutes.

He didn't even sound like a chef -- "A pork chop and side dish" just sounded weird.

Only reason to keep him around would have been comedy relief, but an obvious target right out of the blocks.

I hope the hot women are in the third group; colleague here noted that "Chris" was already advanced for women viewers.

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

I thought that kid was hilarious, especially when he continued to talk smack after he got sent home. This is my first time watching a "full meal" Top Chef, I watched the dessert show that just wrapped up. This certainly looks more interesting.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

But ... he wrote a cookbook! In three weeks!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I DVRed it at home. With my Sling adapter, I'll watch it tonight on my laptop depending on when my mom goes to sleep. But I'm excited about it.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've never understood the reasoning behind starting these reality shows with larger and larger casts, as seems to be the trend once they've been on for a while.

The extra people are usually all just gone right away, anyway, and add nothing to the show, and whatever "twists" the show has to add because of the added people, or to get rid of them almost immediately seem pointless and just dilute the competition. Why bother, either the contestants, or the show?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

HE COOKS FOR CELEBRITIES!

Honestly, I think Tom sensed the attitude from the kid and that was as big a reason he got Phil-iminated mid challenge.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I loved the judge's reaction when the one girl didn't even get the main ingredient (duck?) on her plate.

Tom just gives her this look and says, "Yeah...you have to go home."

Draft saved Draft deleted