1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Seattle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The only one I had heard of among the three brought back was Stefan; sounds as if the show just wanted to stick a villain into the cast, and no one who auditioned apparently had the chops. I'm not surprised they edited it to make it look like they were being hardasses to the vets, or that the vets team was one of the two on the bottom. I'm also not surprised they edited it to make it certain that the fish would be considered the most poorly done thing, thus merely teasing us with Stefan being "in jeopardy."

What I would have maybe been on board with is the three vets voting out one of the five newbie teams in the quickfire, really ratcheting up the drama. Also, 18 seems like a lot of chefs to go forward with; 15 would have seemed better logistically.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You didn't remember CJ? Did you not watch it back then? He was a fan favorite, I believe.

3. dooley_womack1

Nah, the first season I watched was with Kenny and the great pea puree scandal.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I don't like the old chefs coming back to compete with the new cast. I mean, I don't necessarily hate the premise, but I don't like that they brought back chefs who all advanced pretty far in their season. I think that gives them a huge advantage because they know what the experience is all about.

I think if they're going to bring chefs back to compete again, they should bring chefs that were eliminated in the first round.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Not sure I'm going to like this season. No one yet to really like. And I can't deal with Stefan for a full season again.

6. dooley_womack1

That was kinda bizarre, acting as if it were Thanksgiving time when it was clearly about 2-3 months ago. Man, Kuniko had to have had the most fail-soaked episode of Top Chef ever. First she doesn't get her food plated in the quickfire, then she commits the Top Chef deadly sins of undercooking and underseasoning in the elimination challenge. Yet if things are truly on the up and up and the veterans aren't given the Big Brother treatment, Kuniko would have survived and Josie would have gone home if Josie wouldn't have had immunity. Undercooking turkey has to be automatic elimination in a Thanksgiving-themed episode.

And it looks like Carla will be this year's Chef Who Hangs On Way Longer Than Her Talent Would Dictate Because She Adds Drama. She and Stefan just need to get in the Jell-o tub and duke it out. And the last bits of the episode indicate that there'll be several firestorms stoked by Carla and the Texas bad boy that CJ will have to put out. I would welcome more edginess and fewer gimmicks. Also, I don't really have a strong sense of which chefs are the ones to beat. And not surprised at double elimination next week; cast is still too large.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Carla was the head chef at Rao's. I'm sure she's very talented.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Didn't even make it through the first half of Wednesday's episode. I think the holiday, combined with no general interest, kept me from being eager to watch.

It was pretty pathetic to watch them pretend it was Thanksgiving. It was very similar to when they hosted that "Christmas" party and had to pretend it was cold. I remember reading one of the blogs (maybe Chef Tom) saying it was actually 70 degrees or so, and the party-goers had to dress the part anyway.

9. dooley_womack1

Buck, that just means she can whip up a mean horse head and scallops dish

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She better watch out, because it's Top Chef, not Top Horse Head.

11. dooley_womack1

Yeah, and who keeps adding fennel to the horse head, anyway? In Restaurant Wars, one of the teams will make fennel ice cream, I just know it.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I keep forgetting to record "Life After Top Chef" despite my love for Fabio and Richard. Fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted