1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Seattle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tonight is the premiere (I guess they ditched Top Chef Just Desserts this cycle. Pity. I'm waiting for them to bring Seth back). Here is the cast link: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-10

Some projections:
    --Most likely to be allowed to make me do whatever she wanted: Stephanie Cmar
    --Most likely to be IJAG's crush: Micah Fields
    --Most resembling a member of sj I've met: Danyele McPherson

And it's Seattle, so....cooking with coffee? Atop the Space Needle? In the rain?
    Having said the above, Colicchio has said this edition will be more back to basics. That will be welcomed; I don't really dig the idea of chefs having to shoot a gun to obtain ingredients (tho stunts seemed to add to Around the World in 80 Plates, the non-Top Chef Top Chef edition)

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Instead of Top Chef Desserts, they did Life After Top Chef. They followed Fabio, Jen, Richard Blaise and Spike around in their current endeavors.

I'm looking forward to these season, but I noticed the chefs are a little older this season. I wonder if they're running out of the younger chefs, or if having the younger chefs the last few seasons didn't translate to good ratings.

3. dooley_womack1

I didn't watch LATC. As much as I like Fabio and Blaise, it just didn't scream entertainment to me, seemed a gimmicky bridge (and Bravo is almost become all gimmick anymore).

And that's a good question, THUMP!; have no idea.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Talk about damning with faint praise ...

I'll have to watch this online. I record too much on Wednesdays. No room for it, and I'm not going to drop Nashville or American Horror Story: Asylum for it.

5. dooley_womack1

They did something similar to what they did in Texas last year, eliminating some of the field before they go to Seattle. This time, they started with only 21 and divided them among Colicchio, Emeril, Wolfgang, and Atcheson. The ones with Colicchio had to work an actual kitchen shift while Emeril's had to make only a soup, Wolfgang's only an omelette and Atcheson's only a salad. Doesn't seem fair. I think they eliminated about five chefs.

Unfortunately, according to promos, Top Chef is going the lame rout of Big Brother and Survivor by throwing in three past cheftestants with the newbies. Booo! And I wonder if they'll have anything like Last Chance Kitchen this time.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

What's that market where they throw fish and show it as a staple for every sporting event televised from Seattle? Pike's Place or something? You know they will have a challenge from there.

I was glad to hear they are getting back to basics. I thought the Texas season was pretty weak, especially the challenge where they stopped on the side of a country road and had to make a meal out of whatever was in the trunk of the car.

7. dooley_womack1

Yeah, all kinds of gimmicks last season, tho it was fun to see that one biotch fall while cross-country skiing

8. StaggerLee

I kind of liked the early elimination challenges, although I do agree that Chef Tom's cheftestants faced a much tougher battle.

Seems like it could be an interesting cast, especially with that veteran chef that kind of went downhill after his fame and fortune got the best of him (I'll know the names by the third of fourth episode).

9. dooley_womack1

And wouldn't it be my luck that the one I was crushing on didn't make the cut. But on the show, she didn't look nearly as hot as the Bravo site made her out to be.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The "Bad Boy Chef" from Dallas or something, right? It looks like with him around, there will be a natural villain and some good tension to be had. I liked the challenges that the non-Colicchio contestants had in the opener. You always hear chefs on the Food Network say how they test their new chefs by having them make something simple, like they did with soup, salad or omelettes. Seems to be a pretty good measuring stick.

11. StaggerLee

I may not have the best taste buds out there, but to me, all soups and salads are the same. I don't know the difference.

But I will say that a good omelette is hard to find. I love omelettes, but I always am scared to order them because I often get the omelettes that are undercooked and runny on the inside.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This was weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted