1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I think Jeff had only been in the bottom three once before. And I submit that he is every bit as good as Fabio. I understand the love for Fabio, but he's not one of the top three chefs on the show. I would have ranked him fifth behind Jeff with Stefan, Jamie and Hosea as my top three.

I think "producers' decision" definitely played a part in Wednesday's decision. And who can blame them - If you give me a choice of watching Jeff or Fabio, it's a pretty easy decision.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Can't see Bravo putting two Euros in the finals. Fabio has been pretty ragged in his cooking lately (but did blow the doors off with his FOH during Restaurant Wars)- his amuse bouche during RW got panned by the judges across the board and he has been mostly disastrous in his Quickfires in recent shows. I like the guy, he has personality, something lacking in many of the contestants.

Stefan makes it, no doubt- the douchebag every season makes the finals. He qualifies in spades. Hosea and Jamie seem the most logical other two to join him in a final three setting. They both seem able to cook a bit, though I don't think they are great taken out of their comfort zones.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm still really waiting on Jamie to cook something other than a scallop :D

4. You mean this isn't Top Scallop? I thought it was.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Damn, I've been watching the wrong show!

Oh, and Fabio had another gem this week. Something about monkey butt and bananas.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, but it's not just Jamie.

Jeff cooks seafood every week, Carla cooks a dessert, Fabio cooks some kind of dish with pasta.

I was really disappointed this last challenge that they let the chefs choose which team/region for which they would cook. Jamie (from San Fran) chose San Fran; Jeff (from Miami) chose Miami; Carla (from the South) chose New Orleans; Leah (from N.Y.) chose the Giants. I think it would have been a lot more interesting had they drawn knives.

Maybe they've changed the whole focus of the show, but in the past, Chef Tom would admonish the chefs for "staying in their comfort zone." Seems like this year, everyone is staying in their comfort zones, and the ones that venture out are getting chopped.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

They're usually more lenient when the challenges are more difficult - 20 min cooking time is pretty hard. And it seems like they do more fuck-with-chefs challenges as the season progresses to see who just copes best -- usually best way to do that is stick with what you know.

8. clarkington

clarkington Member

[/quote]

Oh, and Fabio had another gem this week. Something about monkey butt and bananas.
    [/quote]

"If they're gonna give me monkey ass filled with fried banana, I'll come up with something anyway. It's not a problem."
    I about fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Two weeks in a row, Fabio talked about monkey ass. The thing with the fried banana, and during Restaurant Wars, he said they could serve monkey ass in a clamshell and they wouldn't lose with him in front of the house.

I am starting to wonder what he's going to cook if he makes it to the final.

Which he probably won't, sadly. Great personality, but he doesn't seem to be a great chef.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Had a $100K winner doing "Top Saffron" all season, so why not??

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Pretty disappointed with the judges' selection there. I thought Jamie was one of the top three chefs this year. Leah? ehh. Not impressed with her "I'm just gonna half-ass my way through another challenge" bullshit.
    Fabio impressed me this week, though. Stefan just continues to kick ass. And Hosea is beginning to get on my nerves.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My only guess is that Leah promised the producers she'd go down on Hosea in the last episode if they'd keep her around. Otherwise, no clue why she's still here.

Sad to see Jamie go, she seems like a real pro.

Draft saved Draft deleted