1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to get macaroons for my mother when I went to the shore. They were always made with coconut.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Just watched the second ep. Have no desire to go back and watch the first.

What the hell was the deal with Tom's sunglasses? His ears are that off??

Edit: When I was in Ann Arbor this summer Eve's restaurant was recommended to me by some locals. I'll be in Ann Arbor a couple of more times this fall and I think I'll check it out. They raved about it.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I thought Eve was strange and was glad to see her go.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've watched every Top Chef season to this point, but I'm not sure about this season. I think they went for young, edgy chefs in an attempt to maybe generate some interest in the younger demographic. Like someone said, too many damn tattoos and piercings for me.

Definitely didn't like the overplayed gay marriage thing, but it was refreshing to hear a woman actually bitch about the men vs. women challenge, especially considering the last couple of seasons they've harped on how many women have made it to the finale and not won (until Stefanie).

I'll keep watching, because I like the concept of the show. But I have a weird feeling this year will become Real World Las Vegas meets Top Chef. If they start showing house drama, I'm gone.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I want to see talent and creativity in their work, not the drama. I hope that comes through, although as has been pointed out here before, we never get to taste, so we have to rely on the judges.

Reading Eve's bio and a little bit online about her I'm a little confused. She has the chops but it just didn't come through in the one episode I saw.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, who dresses Padma? A leopard mini dress at a military base with 300 elite pilots. She's lucky they didn't mistake her for escaped desert wildlife and shoot her.

Also, I could make that pasta salad, which does not say much for the pasta salad.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Not a word from anyone about "don't ask, don't tell." It was a very pro-troops episode. Several of the cheftestants even got weepy when the base commander (?) thanked them for their efforts.

8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Jennifer and the older brother seem to have the same clinical detachment found in your stereotypical serial killer.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but she's kind of crazy chick hot. So it's OK.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

"9/11 made me want to be a chef."
    Whoa, and now I'm glad the girl who I thought was a guy at first but now I know is lesbian is gone.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Plus she threw out the water (what was that about?), and couldn't shuck an oyster to save her androgynous life.

Couldn't look at her another week. See ya.

Next week let's get rid of the chick with the lip piercing, she is making me queasy.

Jennifer is getting way too much camera time, they want us to think she wins. No doubt she goes home after jalapeno flakes are mysteriously slipped into her chocolate mousse.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So now the second favorite, according to those ridiculous Vegas odds, is out. Whoever made those odds is an idiot.

I agree with 21. The lip piercing chick has got to go next.

Draft saved Draft deleted