1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I actually thought it was okay, although it always takes me a few weeks to learn everyone's name.

They need to keep this show about the food, and not about the drama. I'd like to see them keep the gimmicks to a minimum.

TCMasters was just such a joy to watch. At least this season, there seems to be some real credible talent in this line-up.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I called Bayless's win, but it might have been a given.
    I was glad to see they didn't throw a curveball on the master's show.

As for Top Chef, umm, lots of tattoos, piercings and talent.
    Ripert's girl, I think, is an early leader. Same goes for the bearded guy. The brothers, the French (Spanish?) guy and the guy they've already cast as the douche -- he won the oyster race -- will be contenders. After that, they'll drop like flies.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There are Vegas odds, apparently. The favorite at 4-1 is Eve (the one from Michigan, who made the sad shrimp and scallops) and next, at 5-1, is Preeti, who couldn't shuck a clam. Interesting.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Those most be the odds for next eliminated.

BTW -- does anyone know how to make chorizo air? Absolutely fascinating.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the bearded dude who looks like a hobbit.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm adding this to my new DVR. Hope it replays tonight (hahahah)

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Actually, no.

From the Norm column in yesterday (8/19)'s Las Vegas Review-Journal:
    'TOP CHEF' ODDS

"Top Chef Las Vegas" premieres at 9 p.m. today on Bravo with 17 contestants and a lot of exposure for our restaurants.

For the first time, John Avello, who runs the race and sports book at Wynn Las Vegas, has posted "Top Chef" odds, for entertainment purposes only, not betting.

The M Resort hosts most of the competition, with Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare, Daniel Boulud Brasserie and Alex Stratta's Alex, all at Wynn Las Vegas, also getting some prime time.

The favorite? Eve Aronoff at 5/1. Close behind is Preeti Mistry at 6/1. Others: Ron Duprat, 7/1; Kevin Gillespie, 8/1; Mattin Noblia, 10/1; Michael Voltaggio, 11/1; Jesse Sandlin, 12/1; Laurine Wickett, 14/1; Bryan Voltaggio, 15/1; Hector Santiago, 18/1; Jennifer Carroll, 20/1; Eli Kirshtein, 22/1; Jennifer Zavala, 24/1; Michael Isabella, 25/1; Robin Leventhal, 28/1; Ashley Merriman, 30/1; and Ash Fulk, 35/1.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A few things:

--I thought last season's chefs were duds, lots of 'warm homecooking like Grandma made'...this crew seems to have more artistry, at least at the start.

--Really do not get the whole piercing/tattoo ordeal on some of these folks. If Ear Girl had not been eliminated I'm not sure I could have watched until she was gone.

--Seriously asking: Is the Clam Wrecker male or female?

--Seems the contestants should have to pass a basic skills test before they can play...every season, there's someone who can't dice a carrot or boil an egg or open a clam. Ridiculous.

--Padma is still annoying, and Wolfgang Puck would be a great regular judge.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand why anyone would have their neck tattooed. That was distracting.

But the lip piercings are worse. They look unhygienic. It always looks like they have something hanging out of their mouth -- which I guess, they do technically.

Padma is hot (but a little annoying). So is Kelly Choi. Hot that is.

Wolfgang is outspoken and funny. Yeah, he'd be a great judge.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Restaurant lifers tend to be colorful people. And by "colorful" I mean "odd and, at times, a little psycho."

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

and rarely sober after listening to vices

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I was not impressed by the first episode. A lot of credentials, but nothing that got me too excited. I'll still watch at least for a while... but it's got to improve.

Draft saved Draft deleted