1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef: Just Desserts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Two episodes down so far. Seems like it's trying to show more drama than the usual Top Chef fare. The seeming mental breakdown of Seth was a bit uncomfortable. Am still trying to figure out whether I see Gail Simmons as kinda attractive or merely cute.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

She's slightly cute, and not a very good host.

From what I saw of the meltdown, I'm guessing Seth is off his meds.

3. dooley_womack1

I think someone started talking to him about the Steelers.

4. dooley_womack1

Well, Seth seemed as if he was on his meds this week; he was actually the sane one on a bake sale team that made about the least-likely bake sale items. Looks as if someone is going to end up taken away by ambulance next week. No, seriously; the promo indicated such.

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Despite Seth's breakdowns and drama, he won't get cut anytime soon. He's bringing in the viewers right now.....and obviously the discussion.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was willing to cut Seth some slack last week, but after this week, I hate him as much as anyone on TV.

He's an ass. He doesn't play well with others & he's more interested in impressing Johnny than he is in participating in the challenge.

He didn't make a wedding cake and his bake sale item was ridiculous -- even if it was good.

I really wanted him to go home last night. They shouldn't have put up with that crap & should have taught him a lesson, but I fear you are right that they will keep him for the drama.

Oh, and who's the chick in your avatar?

7. dooley_womack1

He has too much talent to jettison this early.

8. YankeeFan

He's an ass. A financier at a bake sale?

The guy that got let go last week was more talented than some of the folks that are left.

Seth's talented, but he didn't do either challenge according to the spirit of the challenge.

And, next week's promo looked like B Roll from a "The Bachelor" preview.

9. dooley_womack1

Who's to say there isn't a cohort of riche schools where fancy desserts like a financier wouldn't be appropriate? Good decision, I think, to keep him. The wedding cake challenge was absurd, anyway. Would be like having an architecture show with a "quickfire challenge" of building a bridge in an hour.

All that said, his continued existence has Cohen's fingerprints all over it. I wish the producers didn't have a voice in the judges' decision.

10. YankeeFan

Two minutes into this on the DVR & Seth is already acting like an asshole.

And pissed of the sponsor (Breyers) by bitching about the challenge.

11. dooley_womack1

And, as expected, Seth has the breakdown that breaks the camel's back and is out. They bring back the sourpuss that bitched about having to make a peanut butter cookie, and she gets ever more sour. And Maleka asks off so she could return to her kids. Maybe next week, someone will be eliminated on merit.

The whining and sniping is getting deep. I think the issue has been alluded to several times; they're being asked to do things far more quickly than one would go to make a decent dessert, and aren't allowed to have the precise proportions at hand that you need to make a good dessert. So they're feeling like hacks, which I think is part of why Maleka left.

If Seth can get properly medicated, I think they should bring him back next year; he clearly has talent.

12. YankeeFan

I can't believe they kept Seth around last week, only to see him flame out minutes into this week's episode.

He's not coming back. It looked like the producers finally got fed up with him. He has serious issues that need to be addressed.

The chick they brought back from last week was useless & a pain in the ass.

Maleka showed less toughness than Daryl Strawberry on the Apprentice. They should have let her leave, but they still should have sent someone home based on the challenge.

Draft saved Draft deleted