1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef All-Stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Despite what Tom said, I think her body language and attitude hurt her as much as the food.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jamie had a bad attitude right from the start. Very unlikable. And leaving because of a small cut was weak.

Jen was surprisingly unlikable. I've got to think that keeping them up all night led to her being to cranky.

3. YankeeFan

Just found Fabio's Twitter page. Pretty fucking funny.

A couple of samples:

-- Jamie really you needed to superglued, suck it up and move on !! This is not TOP SCALLOPS :)) luv u

-- Jamie!!!!!!! 2 stiches ?? Really ?? And youre still ALIVE ?? Damn you are a gladiator !! ;-)

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Definitely a bad challenge, and then for one of the judges to try and defend it by saying "it's about adaptability" was silly. What's next, blindfold them and dump them in the woods with a pocketknife and a book of matches, then come back 3 days later and see what their fine-dining dish is? I want to see them cook, not try to play MacGyver in the kitchen.

I think the right person was definitely cut, and if it's because of her attitude, that's fine by me. It may have been lack of sleep, or it may be that she's a egotistical, bitchy princess who can't stand to hear someone tell her something she doesn't like. Her basic attitude was that when the judges said they didn't like something she did, her reaction was, "You're wrong." That doesn't make me want to eat at any restaurant where she's cooking. If I happen not to like a dish, I guess it would be my fault.

And her stance to one of the other chefs about how she is only cooking for the judges, because (paraphrase) "why would I care what 150 people who I'll never see again think?" shows her to be pretty open about how much of a bitch she is. I'm sure she's not the only one who thinks that way, but don't go out of your way to say it and broadcast how little you care about the people who are there to eat your food.

I wish they could have cut Jamie as well. Leaving for 2 stitches? I have even more respect for Antonia, for being the only one on the losing team with the nuts to say out loud in front of her what they were all thinking, that it was weak of her to not tape it up and move on.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The thing is, Jennifer didn't show any of that attitude in her original season. That's why it shocked me.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No matter what Tom said about attitude not mattering, the woman who pleaded not to be voted off and the woman who got in the judges' grill, so to speak, were the ones eliminated. Now I saw only Season 7; was Jen considered such a studette that her elimination was that shocking to the others?

And Gregggg is rooting for Fabio, doubtlessly.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I think it's a chicken-and-egg argument: Did they get voted off because they displayed attitude, or did they display attitude because they knew they put out shitty dishes and wanted to take the focus away from their food?

Jen was pretty good in her season and made it fairly far, but like last night, she always seemed to be much more impressed with herself and her food than anyone else was. I think no matter who is sent home, the over-the-top reactions from the other chefs are going to be a constant. It's like they are surprised when anyone gets sent home, and it's a shock to think that the judges didn't like their food. Get over yourselves.

8. YankeeFan

Same here.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When the sommelier goes, they'll say, "he was still around?"

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hoozah, the inconsistent judging of Top Seasons past has returned for Top Chef All Stars!
    Yay!
    Defend your dish? Get booted.
    Don't defend your dish? Get booted.
    Too much salt? Don't get booted or get booted depending on the mood and how much gin Tom has in him.
    Not enough salt? Get or don't get booted.
    Be a female? Get booted.
    Don't cook? Don't get booted.

The list goes on. And the challenge itself was stupid. Cook breakfast, really?
    The winning team made lunch dishes and called it a day.
    But the Jen meltdown was one for the ages.

11. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Could anyone tell what she was screaming as she went out the door?

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I backed up the Tivo and turned on closed captioning ... it was something like "I can't fucking believe they sent me home! My dish wasn't even close to being the worst fucking one! Not even fucking close!"

Draft saved Draft deleted