1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 teenage/high school movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Sep 12, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: Top 50 teenage movies

I haven't judged it. I never said it sucked. I never said it was great. I have offered no judgment on the movie whatsoever, aside from saying "I have no interest in seeing it."

No different from me also choosing not to see "Talladega Nights" really.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and, well, it has pheobe cates' tits

3. Re: Top 50 teenage movies

I think Friday Night Lights is a bad call. If you are going for a token sports movie, I think the right call has to be Varsity Blues. Maybe I missed it, but no love for the original Teen Wolf, either? That's gotta be there somewhere.

Donnie Darko? Highly, highly overrated. I thought it was awful and it somehow became the movie that people thought was cool to say they liked even though they really didn't understand it. Nobody did, because it didn't make any sense.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fast Times didn't imitate my high school as much as my high school tried to imitate Fast Times. That isn't what made it good. The movie was/is good because of the reasons any movie is good. It was funny, had memorable characters (Dimone, Mr. Hand, etc.), captured some teenage angst, etc. I am sure it would seem dated to a 15 year old now, the way that movies from before my time always seemed dated, but I also think it holds up very well in terms of timelessness compared to many of the other movies on that list.

Unrelated.. I was just thinking about sleeper movies that should be on that list. What about The Warriors?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Phenomenal movie, no doubt. But there's no way the Warriors were in high school ... well, except the tagger with the giant 'fro. He looked young enough.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, quit putting down movies you never saw.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked 'Donnie Darko' and know several other people who also liked it.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Noted. Title of thread has been modified.

I haven't seen a mention of Footloose yet, either.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My top 10 from the list: (breakfast club may be my least favorite film listed)

10. Risky Business 1983
    9. Dead Poets Society 1989
    8. Say Anything 1989
    7. The Last Picture Show 1971
    6. Carrie 1976
    5. Heathers 1989
    4. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 1986
    3. American Graffiti 1973
    2. Grease 1978
    1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High 1982

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I"ve only seen 27 of the movies listed and agree with others who have questioned the omissions of Porky's, One Crazy Summer and Better off Dead.
    Also, for a high school sports movie why Friday Night Lights over All the Right Moves? :)

Why aren't Teachers, Taps or Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure on this list?

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Holy hell. That's a big miss!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What about 'Satan's Cheerleaders'?

Draft saved Draft deleted