1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 teenage/high school movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Re: Top 50 teenage movies

Ha hahahah, one of the comments made their own list and has Can't Buy Me Love as No. 1. Two thumbs up!!!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Classic is in the eye of the beholder, my friend.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Psssst ... hey IJAG ... come here ... I don't much care for it either ... I've tried watching several times and turned it off every time.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Boyz N the Hood...huh?

I don't understand the logic behind the list, unless I missed the criteria for a top 50 "teenage movie."

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Trey, as mentioned before, ignore the thread title. It's misleading.

The list is of best "high school" movies.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Whoops.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Go see it. Seriously. The only way it doesn't parallel your high school experience is if you're a cheerleader.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, I didn't have a high school experience. Sorry.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Random thoughts

* Just One Of The Guys made it? I ... guess? I thought it was corny fun but not a "good" movie by any standard. Certainly not above Sixteen Candles, a far more iconic 80's teen movie than JOOTG.

* Harry Potter and Friday Night Lights ahead of Fame and Risky Business? WRONG! </lex luthor>

* The older movies get the shaft, to nobody's surprise. To Sir With Love, The Last Picture Show and Grease deserved better.

* I always thought Election highly overrated. It wasn't BAD, per se, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. A lid for every pot, I s'pse.

* Breakfast Club is the right choice at No. 1. Everything hung together perfectly for that. Oft imitated, never bettered. Don't You Forget About Me = song that best screams "1980's!"

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did you go to high school? Yes? Then you do have that experience.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But I don't get this "I saw so much of my life in this movie." Never have. Are there parts of characters that occasionally somewhat reflect one portion of my life? Yes.

Have I ever seen a movie that was even close to my high school experience? No. I didn't go out. I didn't drink. I didn't "hang out" with all kinds of people. I didn't "party" when people's parents were out of town. I woke up, went to school, went home, went to work, did my homework, rinse, lather, repeat.

I will NOT be told that some movie is going to show me what my life was like. I lived it. Don't want to live it again. Thanks anyway.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

ijag

"fast times" isn't a classic because it reminds me at all about my own high school experience. it's a classic because it's a terrific, funny, sometimes even poignant movie.

you really should see it before judging it. 8) 8) 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted