1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 teenage/high school movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Top 50 teenage movies

I was pleased to see Dead Poets Society on the list, one of my all time favorites. Virgin Suicides is a great book and a great movie. Mean Girls was decent, but it's much, much too high. Entertainment Weekly is so shamelessly far up Tina Fey's skirt, it's embarassing.

But for the most part, either the list shows very little imagination, or there is some kind of stupid standard for a "teenage" movie that I'm missing. Does it have to be light or fun? Because some of it just doesn't make sense.

Where is Igby Goes Down? Or Ghost World? Or Saved? Or School Ties? Or Pump Up the Volume? Or, worst of all, Stand By Me? How can you leave Stand By Me off the list? I keep looking at this thing and I can't for the life of me understand why EW missed some of those. And I'm sorry, but Can't Hardly Wait? Are you kidding me? Varsity Blues deserves to make the list before that absolute stink bomb gets on here. So does Crazy/Beautiful, a stupid movie that's still better than Can't Hardly Wait simply because Kirsten Dunst is skanky hot.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Weren't the kids in Stand By Me a bit younger than teenagers?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, they were going into seventh grade, IIRC.

4. Double Down

They were 13. And all the older kids who were in Ace's posse were in high school. It's a teen movie. No question in my mind.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i love ghost world, but thought it was more of a post-high school movie, an early-adulthood kinda thing

6. HoopsMcCann

yeah, but the list was high school movies, whoever started this thread called it teenage movies, which would be a different criteria

7. HoopsMcCann

i'd love to be up tina fey's skirt

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I loved Igby, and Saved!

Maybe I'm more of a Culkin fan than I realized.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ijag -- you must be shittin' me. never seen "fast times?" heck, my 16-year-old has.... it's timeless. don't deprive yourself any longer, girlfriend. sean penn is worth the price by himself.

how can you say a classic you've never seen "doesn't speak" to you? ??? ??? ???

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Harry Potter is not a teenage movie.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

The list seems a wee bit all over the board, considering Rebel Without A Cause is sandwiched by Heathers and Dazed & Confused. And there's American Graffitti ... strange, strange, strange.
    And no, anything Harry Potter is not a 'teen movie,' I agree.

12. Double Down

Ok, I was confused by the false title of this thread. If it's high school movies, that bumps Ghost World for sure and Stand By Me. It doesn't, however, explain why Saved didn't make the cut, or Pump Up the Volume, two obvious choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted