1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 sportscasters in history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you on both Charlie Jones, Summerall, Stockton, Musberger and Kalas. I would also suggest that Chris Schenkel should be much higher than 26.

Too many youngsters have no idea about the big-game announcers of the '60s.

2. chester

chester Member

I remember watching an interesting documentary on HBO back in the early 1990s about the history of sports on TV. I think it was call "Play by Play" if I'm not mistaken. But, anyways, it really helped to show me - still in high school at the time - a glimpse of some of those 60s and 70s announcers I had heard my dad talk about.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rizzutto called Maris' 60th HR game, that was 1961. Did anyone listen to him in the 60's and 70's when he was cogent and involved?

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Are there any women who might be on the list?

If not top 50, how about in the top 100?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd also put Don Criqui in the top 50, come to think of it. He called a good game, and all you had to do was hear his voice and know you were listening to an NFL (or AFL) game.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

At least Brickhouse was higher than Caray.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Mark Holtz was a guy that toiled behind the microphone for some awful Texas Rangers teams and died much too young. But he was outstanding in ways many on this list are not; knowledgeable, informative and when a game got big (listen to the last two Nolan Ryan no hitters) absolutely perfect.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Second on Holtz. As good a play-by-play guy as I've ever heard.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't, no.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Fabulous Sports Babe got robbed. ROBBED, I tells ya!

11. mb

mb Active Member

Harry Kalas.

Two spots behind Bill Walton.
    Six spots behind Chris Berman.
    Ten behind Joe Buck.

This list is the drizzling shits.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

no way lundquist, musberger and summerall should be below nantz or Buck . High profile does not equal quality. Lundquist, Musberger and Summerall are pros in multiple sports, Nantz and Buck are Velveeta. And what the hell are studio guys doing on that list? A joke.
    Give me the Bay Area's late, great Bill King who called the Raiders, the Giants, the A's and the Warriors, he even called Cal football and basketball games. He gave us "Holy Toledo!" and once got a technical during a Warriors game for cursing a Ed Rush on air. It was Mother's Day.
    Also thought Ken Squier of NASCAR should be on the list - the guy WAS NASCAR.

Draft saved Draft deleted