1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 sportscasters in history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and you truly have to feel for Hughes, having to endlessly adjust on the fly
    to maintain reasonable flow around Santo's freeform whinefests.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reading some of this thread, I think it's only fair to point out that ALL (at least all the ones I've ever heard) college football and basketball announcers are homers, and that the most enjoyable ones are often the most outrageous, over the top homers. It is part of the art form. It is what most of their audience wants. I mean, who listens to Georgia football (just picking an example) on the radio except Georgia fans?
    So I don't think homerism should disqualify college announcers mentioned on this thread from being considered as great broadcasters.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not the first time I've heard that. I suppose that might be the case for some, but I find over-the-top homerism to be absolutely off-putting.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Shottie, if I don't care about the team, and am listening to the game because it's the only thing on the car radio (which is the only time I listen to radio), it doesn't bother me. It can be oddly appealing. That's just personal taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted