1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 NHL Players...let the debate begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

So we've finally found where "He's a WINNNNNAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!" applies.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As someone (maybe it was me), the Sid vs OV controversy is a bit like the Beatles vs Rolling Stones argument when I was a kid

Personally, I prefer Sid but it's 1a and 1b.

I'm not sure that OV's winning a Cup is a foregone conclusion

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure about that either.

And I'm not arguing against Crosby's greatness or his accomplishments. Or course they count for something.

But in an individual player argument, him vs. him, I'm taking Ovechkin.

That hardly means I think Crosby isn't sensational. I could even go along with the 1A and 1B thing. Just different As and Bs.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I love me some Jonathan Toews, I really do. Named my kid after him (middle name, first name is Patrick). I can quote all kinds of great stats in the playoffs like his face-off percentage and takeaway/giveaway ratio that proves all the little things he does. But that's some serious overrating to put him that high.

6. mb

mb Active Member

No.

Would I trade Crosby for Ovechkin? Same answer. No.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is that it's still possible for Player A (no Cup and no Gold) to be a better individual player than Player B (Cup and Gold).

Ovie is better than lots of players who have Stanley Cups and Olympic Gold medals.

I'm a Caps fan, so it's obvious I'd take Ovie. But the 1A and 1B thing is fair.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm about to drag Mike Gartner into this argument. :)

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't think it is at all. In fact, my hockey team was watching the show after our game, and most of us correctly predicted the top three when they were still counting down the 20's.

Toews's success in pretty much every international tournament he's played puts him up there.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is the Canadian version of Magic or Bird.

You cannot say one over the other, but you should pray every night thanking something that you are lucky enough to have at least one of them on your team.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Only three of the top 32 play in Canada, and those three are a long way from Montreal and Toronto.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, it's the hockey version of Magic or Bird.

Draft saved Draft deleted