1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 commercials of the 1980's ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 11, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wasn't it only shown the one time?

If so, it might be among the greatest from an artistic standpoint. From a cultural standpoint, probably not.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

(puts on Grandpa Simpson voice)

By crikey there were! First released in 1983, you whipper-snapper!

(off with the voice)

As I recall, David Bowie was the first to release all his stuff on CD. But there was no attention paid to sound quality, so your cassettes sounded better. Which is why seven years later Bowie re-released everything again. Well, that and a chance to go to the well a second time.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had Joshua Tree on CD when it came out.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Leaving off Where's the Beef (which should be top three at worst) is a major blunder.

And who knew that Hooters ripped off its uniform design from an Apple computer ad? That was a great commercial, though.

And the Mars Blackmon/MJ commercials were outstanding.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I would argue that it does have merit on a cultural standpoint for this reason. I believe it was one of the first big Super Bowl ads. Look at all the attention devoted to Super Bowl ads, starting with those annual reports of how much one is going to cost. Afterward, there is just as much talk about the ads as the game and which ones were everyone's favorites.
    Of course, this all began during that time when the Super Bowl was usually a one-sided game and the commercials were probably better than the game. (The 49ers-Bengals and Bills-Giants are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head.)

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

There's a second list of 50 which has the Apple and Wendy's ads.
    I really miss the ex-jock Miller Lite ads.
    The one I saw had Madden, Auerbach, Bert Jones, Bubba Smith, Mickey Spillane, Ben Davidson, Ray Nitschke, Uecker and Dangerfield.
    The man-law ads look girlish compared to these.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No list is complete without the Mr. Microphone add..."Hey good lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later!"

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted