1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 Starters in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 22, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And as for the no-longer elite, according to Chris, Johan Santana, he has seven starts this season when he went 7 or more innings, gave up 2 runs or less and got no decision.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right. This pitching depth has greatly changed the landscape of fantasy baseball drafts. In the past, you might consider taking a starter in the first round, but now you have the ability to get a Santana in the later...

Have you stopped reading yet?

3. You know what's amusing is the fact that you are so predictable.

spnited the critic. You don't offer your list - you just criticize everyone else's choices, their posts, their anything. What a miserable person you must be to socialize with.

So if I read you correctly - you are saying Sabathia and Santana are among the top 5 starters in baseball. Who are your other 3? Or are you just going to continue to sit on the sidelines and snipe away?

Please understand that I'm not upset with you. Like I said - your predictability is amusing.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

if it were for a staff to field right now:
    1. Ubaldo
    2. Andy Pettitte (wouldn't take him for the future, but the dude is quietly having a career year)
    3. Josh Johnson
    4. Lincecum
    5. Cliff Lee

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I said I agreed with Sonner, you commented on that.
    And as usual the entire premise of this thread is for you to show your Red Sox colors. Talk about predictable.

I case you did not comprehend what I agreed with Sonner about:
    Halladay, Jiminez, Lincecum, Johnson, Sabathia.

And I'll still take Santana ahead of Lester, who probably would not be in my Top 10

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me - Roy Halladay and Josh Johnson are locks. The next 3 spaces are open to a wide debate.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Admitted St. Louisan here, but I can't understand the lack of love for Wainwright in this. Both as a "The top 5 pitchers right now" and "The top 5 pitchers for the next several years" he'd be on my list. Miniscule ERA, innings eater, unbeatable at home.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This. They have to be on there. Beyond that, the debate can really rage.

I remember the Nats putting up five in Johnson in the first inning last season. Austin Kearns hit a grand slam. The Nats, of course, blew the game.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure how Johnson can be a lock, but Jiminez isn't. I'd say it's reversed; Jiminez is a lock; Johnson not so much. Doesn't matter, though, since both are on the list.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or Carpenter for me. Since 2004, his record is 79-27. Maybe it's his age or the arm surgery, but his record stands by itself.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Either Jiminez is getting tired or the league is starting to figure him out. He has an era around 5.00 in his last eight starts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

1. Halladay
    2. Jimenez
    3. Johnson
    4. Wainwright
    5. Lee

I could make cases for at least five other guys but these are the ones I like in the third week of July 2010. Ask me again next week and I might have a different mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted