1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 Starters in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 22, 2010.

1. I was wondering this morning whether Jon Lester of the Red Sox is one of the top 5 starting pitchers in baseball. I was amazed how difficult it is to name the top 5 because the competition is so tight.

Here are my top 5 pitchers - I wonder how this would differ from yours

1. Roy Halladay
    2. Josh Johnson
    3. Ubaldo Jimenez
    4. Jon Lester
    5. Cliff Lee

This means I had to leave off Felix Hernandez. I'm amazed that Johan Santana doesn't even come into consideration whereas just a couple of years ago he would have been top of the list.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are we measuring accomplishments? Or "who would you want starting for your team tomorrow?"

I think it's obvious who I'm referring to.

3. Pedro Martinez?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright and Tim Lincicum would like a word with you.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could not have Lincecum in their top five.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tough to argue with your five - there are probably 15-20 pitchers who could make up a top 5 of some sorts.
    You know who I'd put in there. Not really sure he's at that level yet, though you can make a case. He doesn't have the history yet.

7. I went back and forth on Lincecum. The fact that he's having an off year (for him) and the fact that he hasn't done well in interleague play kept him off my list.

But he does illustrate how hard it is to isolate the top 5.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm going to look at this as who I would want as a dream starting staff for 2011, so that way there's a certain amount of weight given to right now, and a certain amount for consistent performance over time:

1. Tim Lincecum
    2. C.C. Sabathia
    3. Roy Halladay
    4. Zack Greinke
    5. Adam Wainwright

Jiminez is a close sixth.

Jamie Moyer was not included in this competition, for the same reason that fantasy basketball leagues used to not allow Shaq or Michael Jordan to be selected in their prime. Just not fair to the rest of the competition.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Strasburg?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For 2012, yes. Not 2010 or 2010 just because of the severe innings limitations he'll probably still be operating under.

11. The sponsorship for Johan Santana's Baseball-Reference.com page is pretty amusing

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santajo02.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted