1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 movie directors under 60

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I agree with everything you said. I'm just curious if Mizzou was disappointed by Clerks 2, because I really, REALLY wasn't.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lost in Translation was awesome.

The Life Aquatic was a piece of shit.

With Bill Murray, you're walking a very fine line.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Walking the razor's edge?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That, too.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, but Clerks 2 was very disappointing...

Jay doing the scene from Silence of the Lambs was one of the most hilarious/disturbing things I have ever seen, but the rest of the movie was mediocre by Smith's standards...

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jason Reitman (Juno and Thank You For Smoking) and Jake Kasdan (Orange County, Walk Hard, Zero Effect) might go on my second five.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

What about Bryan Singer? Superman Returns was shit, but at least it looked good. The Usual Suspects is very good. The first two X-Men movies I enjoyed. Apt Pupil was OK. Hey, the guy had the honor of directing Brad Renfro! C'mon.

He might be in my top 10, at least.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Michael Bay for his work on the "Bad Boys" movies and "The Rock."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about Michael Bay movies is that other directors have shown they can take a similar movie (Con Air, Enemy of the State) and do a better job with them.
    His movies have almost become parodies of themselves (slow mos, American flag waving in the background, quick zooms that start low). I can't watch Pearl Harbor and not laugh.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For the love of Christ, please tell me you're kidding.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are gimmes (I'd put Rodriguez on this list just for making "El Mariachi" on a $7,000 budget).
    The 12-year-old in me ensures Smith makes the list.
    Maybe he hasn't gotten any love here because people think he's 60 already, but John Sayles, 57, is a must for "Eight Men Out" and the criminally underrated "Lone Star."
    The other spots are up for grabs...P.T. Anderson, Sofia Coppola. Young Reitman's a strong 2-for-2.

12. We'll simply have to agree to disagree. J&SBSB was mediocre. His other movies are either good (Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks 2, Jersey Girl) or great (Chasing Amy, Clerks).

Draft saved Draft deleted