1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 movie directors under 60

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, "Lost In Translation" is one of the best movies to come out in this decade.

2. Coen brothers

Villareal brothers

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Fincher and PTA immediately jump out to me. Maybe Spike Jonze if he would do more work. Coen Brothers definitely in Top 5. Peter Jackson too, perhaps.

Here's a few more to consider:
    Danny Boyle (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Millions, 28 Days Later, Sunshine)
    Michael Bay (rip me if you want, be he is a moneymaker. good popcorn-movie stuff)
    Judd Apatow (current flavor-of-the-month)
    Mark Forster (Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland, new Bond 22, Kite Runner, Stranger Than Fiction)
    Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Science of Sleep)
    Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was going to put Apatow on mine. He's redefined what a comedy can be. and Marc Forster might be the most interesting director around going from art house fare to Bond. The guy has range.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Second that.

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Two pages and no mention of Brad Bird?

Granted, the directorial resume is short (The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille), but the man is helping to change the face of family animation. He is at the forefront today of helping Disney change its traditional animated films. And he directs damn good films. If you have not watched either "The Incredibles" or "Ratatouille" because they are a) animated, b) supposed to be geared toward children, or c) more Disney junk, just go out and rent them. Or Netflix them. Or whatever. They are excellent. And Bird is an excellent director.

(I look forward to his next planned film, "1906." According to IMDB, it will detail crime and corruption in San Francisco against the backdrop of the famous earthquake. Not certain whether it's animated.)

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Sarah Polley is off to a heckuva start. She's got another 32 years to work with in this category.

David Gordon Green, the guy who did George Washington, isn't much older.

Francis Ford's daughter should give back the Oscar for Lost in Translation--she owed the Academy one for ruining Godfather III.

I will be shouted down but Tenebaums did nothing for me. Rushmore I've gone back to a few times.

Soderbergh--though Traffic gets the love, I've watched The Limey over and over again and it never gets old. Sex, Lies and Videotape is just about as great.

YD&OHS, etc

8. Dignan

Dignan Guest

1. Paul Thomas Anderson

2. Wes Anderson
    3. Ethan/Joel Coen
    4. Spike Jonze
    5. Sofia Coppola

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Crap, forgot about Danny Boyle. Anyone who can have Ewan MacGregor come out of a crap-filled toilet has my vote.

Guess this just shows there are a ton of great move makes out there, the future of movies is safe.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Scorcese = No. 1 under 60"

YD&OHS, etc

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

i see what you did there.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

David Fincher (Se7en and Fight Club are absolute classics and The Game was pretty good, too).
    Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, The Prestige, Memento were all outstanding)
    Stephen Soderbergh (There are times I think he's overrated, but movies like Traffic make me understand why)
    Peter Jackson (though he really needs an editor. King Kong, for instance, would have been a much better film if it were "only" 2 hours 20 minutes and it wouldn't have been difficult to cut it down that much)
    M. Night Shyamalan (I know he doesn't work for a lot of people here, but I love his movies)

Honorable mention: Mel Gibson (he doesn't have a whole lot of movies to his credit under this title, but Braveheart alone could earn him a spot. Say what you want about The Passion of the Christ, but it was an amazing film visually, and I liked Apocalypto, too.)

Was going to mention Michael Mann until realizing he was born in '43.

Draft saved Draft deleted