1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I have a problem with USC playing for the national title, they are a deserving team, but I'd have Florida at No. 2 and USC at No. 4.
    Florida's loss is more respectable than USC's, so is Michigan's.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever thought I'd say this, and I'll probably regret it.

I agree with Dyepack.

I'm going to take a shower now. I feel cheap and dirty.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most people wouldn't have a beef with this. Virginia Tech took care of Wake Forest pretty easily only two weeks ago. It's hard to argue that Wake is the better team. VT also has a quality win against Clemson, which is the best team all three faced. I know Georgia Tech beat Virginia Tech, but Georgia Tech has three losses now and deserves to drop after losing to Georgia. It is about the totality of their schedules, how they have fared head-to-head, and how they have performed most recently. The ACC standings aren't the end all in this.

4. The Big Ragu

That's two of us. But he's right--well, except on Michigan. I think USC deserves their shot now, but I am not going to call someone who insists that Michigan is the number two team in the country an idiot.

The more I look at the list, the worse it looks. I immediately noticed Boise State and Wisconsin as being way too low, but there are those teams that are too high. The thing about this week is that there shouldn't be that much room for anyone to screw up. It's all pretty clear-cut to most people, give or take a spot or two for some teams. To overrank or underrank so many teams by 3 to 10 spots defies reason.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think, and I could be wrong, that Michigan could beat Ohio State in a neutral site. Not saying that it would happen, but it could. I think the fact that Michigan beat Notre Dame worse than USC beat Notre Dame makes Michigan the No. 2 team. That's just my opinion. I think Ohio State is going to beat USC in the national title game fairly convincingly. I don't think Ohio State could beat Michigan fairly convincingly in the national title game. They might beat them, but not by a lot. All in all, I think everything will work out fine at the end. Ohio State will win its bowl game over USC and be ranked No. 1. Michigan will win its bowl game and be ranked No. 2. I'd rather see Ohio State play Michigan, but that's obviously not going to happen. Those who voted for USC -- I understand. I just respectfully disagree.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, unfortunately for Virginia Tech, the ACC standings, as do the standings in the SEC and Big 12, determine the two teams in those conference championships. If Tech is good enough to be ranked No. 11, they should be good enough to be in the ACC championship. However, those nagging little things like losses (to Georgia Tech and Boston College) kept the Hokies out. Damn those technicalities.

7. The Big Ragu

Oh, I'm not arguing that he doesn't have Virginia Tech three or four spots too high. At least Boise State, Wisconsin and Rutgers belong ahead of VT. I was saying that to 99 percent of the world, Virginia Tech deserves a national ranking that is higher than Wake Forest and Georgia Tech. Do you agree with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted