1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25 vote...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 8, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Michigan, for whatever reason Lloyd Carr, always scores just enough to beat another team -- no matter how dominant the Wolverines can be -- which is why it gets into trouble so often, and loses close games it has no business losing.

That's why the Notre Dame game was so amazing, because rarely do you ever see a UM team putting up points on a team like that. On Central Michigan, sure. On a top-5 team ... almost never.

Reminded me of the blowout win vs. then-No. 2 Penn State in '97, although that came much later in the season, but it catapulted UM into serious title contention.

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Sorry JW, I have to agree with Doubledown - West Virginia is NOT the 2nd best team in the country.

After Florida's thumping of LSU yesterday I don't see how you can rank the Gators behind the Mounties.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll admit the Cards were far from perfect Friday night, but if posting 44 points and 500 yards on the road with a second-string quarterback and second-string running backs is struggling, then I hope they struggle all season.

Sometimes, I think the Cards are victims of their stats and efficiency.

4. man, this is good feedback. the vote is a work in progress. it still ain't december yet. a lot to think about.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Still only a 20-point win. Mr. Buckeye is saying all of the wins were in convincing fashion.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

59-7.

If Michigan is No. 2 and playing Vanderbilt, the margin of victory should be at least 35.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

OK, so if this happens every year, isn't it time for voters to wake up to this and change the way they rank the teams?

If you can honestly say to yourself "I believe that West Virginia would beat Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, USC, Texas on a neutral field" then that's fine.

The way the games have played out so far, however, would say differently.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No slight to Louisville, my post was made to bash the Canes. Louisville deserves all the praise anyone throws at them with the way they tore teams apart at full strength and will continue to do so missing some key pieces.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Using that criteria, Florida should be ranked above Michigan with no debate as to strength of schedules.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Which, oddly enough, is how most voters appear to be seeing it right now....

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

USC and Florida will lose, with that said. Michigan and Ohio State should be 1-2. USC is still living off the last three seasons. The Pac-10 is really down this year.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree that USC is living off the last three years hence its struggles with Washington and Washington State, but I also think the PAC-10 is actually better than it has been. It is no longer USC and everyone else, now it is three quality teams in USC, Oregon and Cal, a couple decent teams in ASU, UW and WSU, and then the shat that the rest of every conference has in UCLA, Stanford, Arizona and Oregon State.

Draft saved Draft deleted