1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25 vote...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

USC should be No. 5

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

W.Va. is the greatest thing since God cooled the Earth's core temp.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Mountaineers sold me today by beating an SEC school by 4 touchdowns on the road. I don't care if it was sorry ol' Mississippi State ... it was still an SEC opponent on the road. Impressive.

Auburn at No. 14 is exactly where it should be when the poll's released tomorrow. They're not very good, but don't be shocked when they knock off the Gators next week.

I'm now convinced the West Virginia-Louisville winner is going to play the Ohio State-Michigan winner for the national championship. USC is going to lose before the Notre Dame game; Florida will lose next Saturday; Tennessee has a loss; ditto Texas and Cal.

Or maybe Mizzou will run the table in the Big 12 and get the love it deserves. I've been impressed with the Tigers the couple of times I've seen 'em on TV.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Iowa blows. Washington blows; I don't care if they almost beat USC.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What the Mountaineers did could hardly be considered a beating. They scored two touchdowns in the final three minutes to make the score look better than what it actually was. Eleven penalties for 132 yards didn't help. Not impressive.

As for Mizzou, it finally did beat a Division I-A school with a winning record, and on the road no less. That said, Mizzou has been one lousy road team under Pinkel, and the Tigers do have to visit Lincoln. Not easy to win there.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone tell me the difference between Rutgers and Wake?
    Oh yeah. Wake finally lost when it played a legitimately good team.
    Though it should not have. See my yak job question on the other thread.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Who the heck has West Virginia beaten?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Whitlock........I hope you have that vote written down in pencil.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

One question regarding the "who've they beaten?" angle. How many good teams are there in the country, seriously? The Big Ten has two powerhouses, then a dropoff. The Big East has a couple of good ones. The ACC ... eh. The SEC has some strong clubs. A couple of good ones in the Pac-10, maybe. OK, that's, what, maybe 20 "good" teams (and I'm being generous)? Not everyone plays a top-caliber team every week ... you have to beat who is on your schedule, and sometimes that schedule sucks (and sometimes it looks a lot better five years ago when it was made). Maybe Rutgers or whomever hasn't "beaten anybody" - but they've still won. Sooner or later they will have to face a "good" team. All this crap is so subjective anyway. Fuck the polls. The preseason poll screws it all up anyway. OK, I'm done now. Thanks. Oh, and why not vote for Wisconsin? They haven't beaten anybody good. :) :)

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The ACC is more "ugh" than "eh."

A healthy Clemson is probably the best team in that league. But Clemson always seems to gag one it shouldn't (maybe BC was that one this year).

Don't know who is getting to the title game but I'm pretty confident when I say the ACC's dream of two BCS teams is getting delayed at least a year.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm sorry, but running up 21 points on Mississppi State in the fourth quarter to win by four touchdowns is far from impressive. Way to pick up the style points at the end boys....

WV should be below Florida, Michigan, USC and Louisville at this point.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Right, cause Louisillve looked really impressive in the first half against Middle Tennessee, spotting them a 10-3 lead and all.

According to the Sagarin ratings (yes, yes, I know I know...), the Big East passed the ACC.

Draft saved Draft deleted