1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 25 vote...small changes...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 12, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well ... no and yes.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Question: Looking at the coaches poll, if Rutgers wins out, why shouldn't they be considered very heavily for the title game?

Rutgers is eighth. They would beat West Virginia, moving up to seventh. USC or Notre Dame loses to the other, giving that team two losses, Rutgers is up to sixth. Florida and Arkansas play in the SEC title game -- loser has two losses, Rutgers to fifth. So in a worst-case scenario, barring any other upsets, Rutgers is a consensus top five undefeated team in a BCS conference and the only undefeated in front of them would be the top ranked Ohio State-Michigan winner.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just shows that the coaches are closer to reality on this than you are.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Your sig is the funniest thing I've seen this week.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

USC does not belong that high. Florida should be No. 3 and Rutgers should be higher.

I'm starting to really believe that Rutgers is a legit top 10 team. And just think, Rice was supposed to go to my Orange. :mad:

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hate to disagree Jerome, but Florida isn't that good. I think Arkanses may beat them if they meet in the SEC title game. I'd put USC ahead of them right now, they looked a lot better against better opposition last night having watched both games.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Well that confirms my thoughts that the Hogs are a pretty decent team. I said on the other thread that I hadn't seen Florida play this season, but I've seen just about every Arkansas game and save the second half of the USC game, they look pretty good.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Whitlock likes it when the Sooner Schooner comes out at halftime.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

You can't complain about the comments you're getting on a thread you started in an attempt to get comments about your rankings.

What'd you expect?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One man's epic is another man's track meet. One man's defensive showdown is another man's epic. I've seen 3-0 masterpieces, 7-3 epics and 50-49 farces. And yes, I thought last year's title game was epic, for many reasons and from many subplots.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn those aluminum bats!

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think Whitlock just approaches his ballot differently than others might. He seems to really want to put the 25 best teams in the country, as he sees it, in order.

If I had a vote, I would be thinking in terms of who still deserves a shot at the national title. I think two missteps are one too many. So I couldn't put Notre Dame, Arkansas, Louisville, etc. behind Texas, LSU, etc. Those teams had their chance.

I'd have Rutgers third. They may not really be the third-best team in the country, but the way this season has shaken out, I think they deserve a chance to play OSU/Michigan to see. If they lose to West Virginia, I think the ND-USC winner deserves to be there (Florida is a paper tiger).

I don't think there are any airtight answers this year. But teams simply run out of chances, eventually, even in a season like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted