1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 25 vote...small changes...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Re: Unofficial top 25 vote... won't vote til 11 am eastern...

Riiiight.

2. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Why?

Should Rutgers go undefeated, it would have two great wins (vs. then-No. 2 Louisville, and at WVU, which will probably be No. 7 or 8 at the time). Should Ohio State go undefeated, it would have two great wins (then-No. 2 Texas and No. 2 Michigan).

Outside of that, there's not a whole lot to separate OSU's and Rutgers' schedules. N. Illinois? Cincinnati? Bowling Green? That's no better than facing teams like N. Carolina, Illinois and Ohio. Outside of Michigan, OSU's toughest Big 10 opponents will have been Iowa and Penn State -- two incredibly overrated teams at the start of the year that would struggle against teams such as, say, Pitt and S. Florida.

No, I'm not saying Rutgers would beat OSU. The Buckeys would probably destroy them. But if Rutgers goes undefeated in a BCS conference, with two wins in the final month against top-10 teams (one on the road), with only one other undefeated BCS conference team left, then Rutgers deserves to be in the title game. They'll have earned it. After all, what's the difference between having Louisville in the title game (like most people thought the Cards would be if they went undefeated), and having Rutgers there?

Like Dooley said, give an undefeated team from a BCS conference full faith and credit, or take that conference out of the BCS. Like BYH said on the running college FB thread, Rutgers is being punished because its preseason ranking wasn't high enough, which makes NCAA football no better than some states' high school systems.

(/rant)

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Sagarin ELO-CHESS ratings have Rutgers ahead of Ohio State.

This guy has Rutgers fifth in his projected rankings, with USC fourth and Notre Dame 6th. Boise State 10th. OSU/Mich still 1-2:

http://www.tellshowbcs.com/

4. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

If Louisville or West Virginia would have played in the national championship game had they gone undefeated, why not Rutgers? Are the schedules not comparable? It's ridiculous.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not sure how accurate that can be, since he's having to guess at what the voters will come up with ... but interesting nonetheless.

And watch out for Arkanpig. Those dudes have got run-the-table written all over them.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not voting a Cinderella team into the top 10 because of its defensive scheme in a "soft" conference? Now that is funny stuff.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which in and of itself puts its non-conference schedule above most of the teams in the SEC (save Arkansas and Tennessee)
    And you know, since the Pigs are winning and winning, am surprised we havent heard anything from out benevolent, behind the scenes, grand imperial poobah, Douglas.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're right, this ballot is not controversial. Without an unbeaten BCS-conference team in the top 10, it's a joke.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm no fan of the BCS, but man am I glad the AP Poll isn't factored in anymore. When you actually have voters randomly deciding that two-loss teams--which lost this week, late in the season, against crappy opponents--should be ranked higher than an undefeated team from a surprisingly tough BCS Conference this season, which is coming off a win against the number three team in the country, it makes one statement: The AP Poll is officially a joke. I hope he gets quoted again in the story when they release their rankings. The public should see this so they can just start ignoring the poll as a joke. This is just plain idiocy or attention-seeking (but not harmless; it is having a negative affect on something some people care about), or a combination of both.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

If you're constantly advertising your poll vote on a public message board, it's obviously designed to get attention. And it worked. So good for him.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, it's good to be an attention-whore.

12. i apologize for acting like i know something about football. i'll just vote the records from now on.

Draft saved Draft deleted