1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25 final regular-season vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Dec 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not saying it wasn;t a good victory. And in many cases, a win like that is enough to jump a lot of teams two spots -- from 10 to 8, from 7 to 5...
    But from 4 to 2 is another story... especially when 3 did nothing to be penalized...
    And what I mean is that Florida has been the same team all along. If he felt they were better than idle Michigan, he should have ranked them ahead of Michigan going into the game.

Florida had more bad (re: close) wins this year than Michigan did.
    I still believe that if UM-UF beats OSU in BCS game and UF-UM wins its bowl game CONVINCINGLY (style points, big score and all), a split title could and should be a possibility.

2. estreet, at some point you just earn it. florida can't be denied. ohio state has the best record. florida has the best resume... let's get it on!

3. "bad wins".... i'd like to make a tasteless analogy here but i don't want to get in trouble... i'll just say this... there's no such thing as a "bad win".... all winnsy is good winnsy...some is just better.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And, the BCS will probably be bailed out (again) by a 10+-point Buckeyes win.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How about ugly wins? Like Marge Schott lookin' wins...

PM me the tasteless analogy...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Much like USC did last year?

Wait...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jason, what would you say to your writing brethren, who will surely have Boise State fifth or sixth? Either they're fraudulently voting them that high or you're fraudulently voting them that low. And what would Boise have to do for you to ever vote them top 10, given that the traditional powers will always avoid them?

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

fraudulently? why is a difference of opinion fradulent?

and, well, a "traditional power" didn't avioid them last year and throttled them. yes this is a different year, but you did say "always" so i think it applies

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think fraudulent comes from the fact the BSU will be at least 10 spots higher than where Jason ranked them...
    And if 12-0 teams didn't deserve at least the top 10, then BYU needs to rescind its national title [ducking because its a whole new can of worms]

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whitlock has been (mostly) consistent in keeping Team A ahead of Team B in the polls if A beat B and their records are close to the same. Funny how everyone complained he was underrating the Big East before, but now I think he's overrating Louisville and Rutgers (two-loss UL over two-loss USC and two-loss Rutgers over one-loss Wisconsin and ACC champion Wake Forest?)

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And why is it "fraudulent" if one person has Boise State 10 spots below the consensus? Couldn't he just come to a different conclusion than everyone else based on the facts laid out before him? I'd probably have Boise in the lower half of the top 10, but it's no national tragedy if you can make a case for Boise being 15-20.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

DIdnt mean to imply I felt his vote was fraudulent; just guessing what Dools felt could be fraudulent.

Draft saved Draft deleted