1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 20 pitchers of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Since a few people didn't answer my question in the Greatest Pitcheer of all time thread, I decided to create a new thread. Rank your top twenty pitchers of all time. Rank from 1-20. Negro League pitchers are allowed.

Here is my list.

1. Walter Johnson
    2. Greg Maddux
    3. Cy Young
    4. Lefty Grove
    5. Pete Alexander
    6. Christy Mathewson
    7. Tom Seaver
    8. Roger Clemens
    9. Randy Johnson
    10. Warren Spahn
    11. Satchel Paige
    12. Pedro Martinez
    13. Bob Feller
    14. Bob Gibson
    15. Kid Nichols
    16. Steve Carlton
    17. Smokey Joe Williams
    18. Carl Hubbell
    19. Juan Marichal
    20. Three Fingers Brown

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No Koufax and no Ryan equals a complete failure of a Top 20 list.

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Sandy Koufax is my number 21, and I can easily name 8-10 better pitchers than Nolan Ryan. Ryan is overrated by the average baseball fan.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Stoney on Koufax, but not Ryan. I can certainly see the argument for including Ryan, but there is also a good one for leaving him off, starting with a 3.19 career ERA that is not even close to the top 200 all time.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know who else is overrated? Dead ball era pitchers who amassed gaudy statistics over a century ago during an era when only about 3 runs were scored per game and no black or latino players were allowed to participate.

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Just because you haven't seen them play doesn't mean they're overrated. They still had some great competetion, yes they didn't face black/latino players, but they faced some great players.

I may only be assuming here, but have you actually studied players from the Dead Ball era? If you did, then you'd probably realise that they're better than you actually believe.

PS: Still waiting on your list.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It took a long, long time for Ryan to figure out how to win baseball
    games on a consistent basis, and I'm also not compelled to give
    him an automatic pass in the juice department.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And you'll keep waiting. It's a silly exercise. I have no intelligent basis for ranking players from the distant past other than some statistics amassed during an era when the game was very different, average scores were much lower and nobody with dark skin or a spanish accent was allowed to play.

None of us have the slightest clue how those guys actually compare to modern era players, trying to compare is essentially just guessing.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Then why did you comment saying that my list is a major fail since I don't have Koufax or Ryan? Your not making a lot sense here. You say that you have no intelligent basis for ranking baseball players, but you still felt the need to state that my list is a fail. That's pretty rediculous if you ask me.

Anyway, I know there's a few members here that can come up with a good list(Shoeless and Baron being two of them) so hopefully I can get some good contribution to this thread and not replies like Stoney's(no offense)

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you are going to mix up dead-ball pitchers and modern pitchers, you might as well throw in some cricket bowlers. They are just as similar.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Where the hell is Van Lingle Mungo?

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Enlighten me, how are they semilar?

Draft saved Draft deleted