1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 15 all-time college football coaches results!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Re: Top football college coaches of all time -- your vote

Agree on Tressel. And just think, Army didn't want to hire the guy a few years ago. OSU got him out of Youngstown State - because he knew Ohio. Some of you OSU fanboys - what was the reaction at the time?

Also, I put Red Blaik high on my list, though I don't expect him to get many votes elsewhere. But two straight national titles at Army? Obviously there were mitigating factors because it was during WWII when other schools were losing their kids, but the guy put together a dynasty. Gave Notre Dame two of its worst losses of all time in back-to-back years.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

At the time of Tressel's hiring I seem to think that most people in Ohio who follow The Ohio State University like his hire. I remember liking it at the time and thinking finally Ohio State is getting a coach who can get it done in big games.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Allow me to make a clarification, simce someone brought it up.
    The only qualification is they be a head coach at a college. It doesnt matter if Division I II or III.
    So yes, someone like John Gagliardi and Eddie Robinson would be included

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Top FB college coaches of all time -- vote 8 EST DEADLINE

Just a reminder, the hours are dwindling and the votes are few.. so if you haven't voted, don't gripe...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Top FB college coaches of all time -- vote 8 EST DEADLINE

New deadline 11 Eastern,,, (going out)Vote Vote Vote

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Re: Top FB college coaches of all time -- 11 EST DEADLINE vote now

What is your email address? I can't get it to pop up on my wireless.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

20. Tom Izzo

(It's Michigan State. We can assume how this one would play out.)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Email is
    slappy4428@charter.net

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Top 15 FB college coaches of all time -- 11 EST DEADLINE vote PM's OK

Bryant still da man

By SLAPPY4428
    Poll meister

While only seven voters cast ballots for the SportsJournalists.com Top 15 college football coaches of all time, their choice was clear cut: Even though he'd been dead for 25 years to all but the fans of the Crimson Tide, Alabama football coach Bear Bryant is still king.
    Bryant, last seen at a Krystal in Hoover with Dale Earnhardt and Elvis Presley, topped the list with 94 points, easily outdistancing runner-up Knute Rockne and third place Frank Leahy -- both of whom coached Notre Dame when there was no (BC) between the N and D. Rockne came in with 76 points, while Leahy had 60. Bryant also had three first-place votes with Rockne and Leahy grabbing one each.
    "Ah think it's about time we hea in the great state of Eh-bama realized some fiscal sponsibility," said Paul W. Bryant Jr., son of the late coach and current U-A System Trustee. "We need ta eliminate fuhbawl at th Uveristy of Eh-bama Buhminham. Is that what yew asked?"
    Former Nebraska coach and U.S. Congressman Tom Osborne was fourth with 57 points, Ohio State legend Woody Hayes was fifth with 52, followed by current Florida State punching bag Bobby Bowden, (48), Penn State's spry coach Joe Paterno (47), University of Chicago coach C. Montgomery Stagg (46), former Oklahoma coach Bud Wilkinson (40) and Carlisle Indians coach Pop Warner (35).
    Grambling's Eddie Robinson and USC's John McKay -- were 11th and 12th with 34 and 29 points, with former Michigan coach Fielding Yost next (28), then Army coach Red Blaik (27) and the winningest coach in college football with 442 wins, John Gagliardi of St. John's (Minn.) University with 24 votes.
    Gagliardi and former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer also received first place votes.
    Only Bryant and Hayes were named on every ballot.

1. Bear Bryant (3) 94
    2. Knute Rockne (1) 76
    3. Frank Leahy (1) 60
    4. Tom Osborne 57
    5. Woody Hayes 52
    6. Bobby Bowden 48
    7. Joe Paterno 47
    8. Amos Alonzo Stagg 46
    9. Bud Wilkinson 40
    10. Pop Warner 35
    11. Eddie Robinson 34
    12. John McKay 29
    13. Fielding Yost 28
    14. Red Blaik 27
    15. John Gagliardi (1) 24
    Also receving votes: Barry Switzer (1) 23; Darrell Royal 17; Robert Neyland 13; Steve Spurrier 12; Bo Schembechler, Gil Dobie, Bernie Bierman, Ara Parseghian 11; John Heisman 10; John Robinson 5; Pete Carroll, Frank Broyles 4; Howard Jones, Vince Dooley 3; LaVell Edwards 2; Roy Kidd 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted