1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Worst Teams Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Dec 23, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Bengals and Seahawks are clearly better than the Lions, and not just because of their record. The Bengals have gotten better later in the season, playing some games close, tying the Eagles and beating the Redskins.

The Seahawks also have the better record and the win over the Jets. I know the Jets are fading fast, but they are at least mediocre.

The Rams also have a couple of decent wins, but maybe the Lions could beat them. I think some college teams could beat the Browns right now. They have completely fallen apart and they have Bruce Gradkowski starting at quarterback Sunday.

That said, they are not nearly as bad as the '76 Bucs in terms of talent. The level of incompetence it takes to go 0-16 as an established team in the current NFL, however, is much more disgracefully low than what it took for the Bucs to go 0-14 as an expansion team.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

True, the Bengals have put things together as of late, but in the beginning of the season, they clearly looked much worse than the Lions. The Seahawks offense looked anemic in the beginning as well.

The fact that we can make an argument that the Lions could beat or compete with a handful of teams shows they aren't the worst of all-time.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was a huge fan of the 9-73 76ers. My favorite player was Freddie Boyd but Fred "Mad Dog" Carter was the big gun on that team.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was a fan of the '03 Tigers. They definitely earned their spot on the list. Although they basically played with a Triple-A squad so I can hardly blame them.

How about a top-10 list of Teams that were bad, but shouldn't have been?

Like this year's Tigers. Any Yankees squad that misses the playoffs. This year's Pistons. ETC

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

oh please, these are all wannabe losers compared to the greatness of prairie view a&m university's 80-game losing streak in the 90s.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And then there are the Highlanders of New Jersey Institute of Technology.
    They won their first 2 D-1 basketball games in 06-07 after moving up from D-3. Since then they are 3-64 and currently working on a 44-game losing streak.
    Went 0-29 last season and are off to an 0-11 start this season.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dude, those Clip-joints were rancid. The worst. The worst, Jerry! Worse than the Cavs, who began to come around in '85 with a brash rookie coach named George Karl, and which was stabbed in the heart with the first of Jordan's many daggers of death.

But the Clipps? Growing up in LA then ... they were god-fucking-awful. The worst.

Perhaps Stoney is right: The Clippers get this Lifetime Achievement Award in this category. Donald T. (as in Terrific) Sterling kept them bad on purpose to feed his coffers.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Cherry Bombs at least got 11 and 15 points. The Knights got nine.

And yeah, the 1930-31 Philly Quakers deserve some love here. Their winning percentage was slightly higher than that of the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, but they were also a sixth-year franchise while the Craps were an expansion team.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

1984-85 Stoke City in the English First Division (now premiership) 46 games, 17 points. Only three wins. Referred as the Holocaust Season. Team did not return to the top flight until 2008.

The funny thing was the team was a championship contender during much of the early '70s. That is until a storm blew apart half the stadium in 1976. The club didn't have insurance and had to sell its best players to cover the coast of repairs. This eventually led the club to financial ruin and several plunges into the lowest depths of English soccer.

The American angle in all this? The team played in Cleveland Municipal Stadium as the Cleveland Stokers in 1967 and '68 in the United Soccer Association.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Seahawks had seven receivers injured this season. One of their healthy, better and more talented pass-catchers -- I don't care if he's listed as a QB, it's not where he belongs -- was under center for most of the year.

They are bad, bad, bad, but they would smoke Detroit with Robb Thomas and Paul Skansi split wide and coming out of retirement.

One of the true dogshit teams I've seen up close is the 2000 Browns, an already awful team made tenfold worse by injuries on both lines and at skill positions.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Last year's edition of Derby deserve a shout-out too.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Also the 1990 Patriots team which went 1-15. They got hammered almost every game.

Draft saved Draft deleted