1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TOP 10 LISTS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stugatz, Aug 9, 2006.

1. stugatz

stugatz New Member

Need a little help here for an eight-page section we're doing on our local minor league ballclub, which is changing affiliations.
    We're doing a full page each for top 10 players and top 10 moments in team history. We'll run some pictures to correspond with some of the moments/players.
    Now, my question is which do you all think is better: a) count down the list from 10 to 1 OR b) start at 1 and go to 10.
    In this format, more like a story than a list, and broken up with photos, I like B. But I know it usually makes more sense to countdown from 10.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

10 to 1. No question. No discussion.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Yeah, I'd go 10 down to 1 as well.

4. stugatz

stugatz New Member

Thanks guys.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Unless you don't want the readers to read all 10. Then go 1 to 10.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think these lists have become a cliche. But magazine editors believe these things sell magazines on newsstands and that it is more effective using a weird number, such as "17 ways a cucumber can enhance your sex life!"

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's at least 22, and that's not counting similar vegetables like zuccini and squash. Youse guys don't know nuthin'. :))

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Gotta agree. At least 22. More like 35 I think, but haven't ever kept count, and some are variations, so I don't know whether that counts as a new use or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted