1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 basketball movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wither Fast Break?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How about The Basketball Diaries? It didn't have a ton of basketball in it, but it was probably a hell of a lot better than Air Bud (which I didn't see ... hence the probably).

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Basketball Diaries and He Got Game should be on the list.

And I'd have no problem with Love and Basketball going higher on the list. It's my sister's favorite movie, and I enjoy it, as well.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hoosiers sucks monkey balls.

5. I'm going to pretend you didn't write that...

6. Where's Porky's II, or was it III?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i stand by my original statement: monkey balls.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Love & Basketball" should be much higher. I enjoyed it more than any other basketball movie I have seen, including the vastly overrated "Hoosiers."

9. That list was compiled by idiots.
    Glory Road?
    And He Got Game should be in there just for what Spike did with Copland's music in the opening credits.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Basketball Diaries is surprisingly good. So is the song, People Who Died, from it.

Has not place on this list, but for pure unintentional comedy value, I have to throw out One On One, starring the incomparable Robbie Benson and G.D. Spradlin.

I never understood how Robbie Benson could be cast as ANYTHING -- a hassidic jew, a DI college basketball player, an American Indian. And for years, whenever the script called for a sadistic coach, Spradlin got the call.

Not basketball, but one of my chestnut impersonations is of Spradlin: "Pheeeel, ya got the best haaaaaands in the game! It's yer childish aaaaaaaatitude...."

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Damned communists.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tom, give me three specific things about Hoosiers that you did not like.

I want to see if you can convice me that Hoosiers should not be on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted