1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 basketball movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... someone randomly brings up a nearly four-year-old thread for their first post? And is followed by someone with 24 posts? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

That said ....
    I'm with you, BigSleeper. The ultimate underdog/need for a father/unorthodox coaching methods sports movie came out two years before Hoosiers.

[​IMG]

2. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

Loved SemiPro, thought it was hilarious. Also, there is a movie about Bob Hurley at St. Anthony\'s in Jersey that is fantastic. Finally, surprised no one mentioned the classic 1980 movie Inside Moves about a madcap bunch of guys with disabilities (one played by John Savage) all pulling for their friend (David Morse) in his quest to make it to the NBA.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080928/

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here's a very long list with a lot of movies nobody's mentioned (many, deservedly so).

http://www.bostonbaseball.com/basketball_movies/

I bought a copy of "Basketball Fix," the 1951 B-movie on college basketball gambling scandals, in the 99-cent discount bin at a local dollar store a year or so ago and was actually quite surprised. It's not a great piece of cinematic art or anything, but it wasn't bad.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Hell, I don't even remember starting this thread.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Finding Forrester ... you're the man now, dog!

That's literally the only thing I know about that movie.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Forrester" has a fair amount of basketball in it. It's not really about basketball, but basketball is an integral part of the storyline.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heart of the Game - a documentary about a girl's team in Seattle is pretty good - kind of girl's version of Hoop Dreams.

I wonder why there hasn't been a good movie about AAU basketball. It could be great, probably wouldn't do any box office because it is the antithesis of most sports movies:

We see Jimmy and his friend Steve tryout for an AAU team. Only one of them makes it. Jimmy is good, so good that soon another AAU team, sponsored by a different shoe company and located two counties over gets him to switch teams and soon Jimmy is traveling to Vegas on weekends, going to Florida on school breaks and has more shoes than he will ever wear...and a new X Box the team sponsor bought him. His senior year of high school the team sponsor convinces Jimmy's mom to send him to play at a high school on the east coast. Jimmy gets recruited by a coach, signs with the school. The coach takes a job elsewhere, the new coach tells Jimmy he's not good enough and releases him from his scholarship. Jimmy transfers to a small school in Ohio. Has success. Declares for the draft. Doesn't get drafted. Ends up playing overseas, blows out his knee. Heads home. Ends up working for his old friend Steve in a restaurant. The End.

9. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Hell, I'd watch that. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted