1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Baseball Flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It rightfully gets hatred. That movie just plain sucks.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't know why I like it so much. It's just one of those movies that I can't stop watching once I start.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

1. Major League
    2. Bull Durham
    3. Eight Men Out
    4. Bad News Bears
    5. Sandlot
    6. The baseball scenes in The Naked Gun. :D

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Fan wouldn't even be a good movie without this peeve.... but the baseball scenes are SO incorrect, the movie almost drives me to violence. The most egregious is Snipes not warming up in the on deck circle, but just getting up off the bench and walking to the plate to bat. It make me want to scream. The also randomly use shots from Dodger Stadium when it is supposed to be Candlestick Park. Oh, and I have never seen a sports movie botch the uniforms so badly. The players uniforms randomly change in every shot. It's like the Giants were playing a new opponent every inning.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The thorougly unathletic Bill Irwin as arguably the greatest all-around second baseman in baseball history was a weirder casting, from a sports perspective. That said, he nailed Colllins' character off the field.

Great performance. "You said it. I didn't."

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You've never seen The Sandlot? EVER? You really really really should. Great movie with a bunch of great one-liners. And James Earl Jones.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cobb is missing from this discussion.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is that the one with shy farmboy Sammy Bodeen as the stud pitcher who gets brought up by the Angels too soon? Where Olmos has to go out in the catcher's uniform and "hypnotise" him? Then after pitching a stellar game in his first outing goes to the owner and demands a reworking of his contract?

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Charlie! I just bought an iceberg!

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I can't believe anyone would mention The Fan, that was one of the worst films ever made.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, but you don't know they won it until he's wearing a Pirates uniform. I'm surprised the universe held its ground.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It Happens Every Spring

Sure, the story's a bit out there, the baseball scenes are far from believable and it's dated and riddled with mistakes. It's still a fun little movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted