1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Baseball Flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1) A League of Their Own -- 1) I'm a girl and 2) they filmed it in Evansville where my parents used to live and I've been in all the stadiums featured in the flick

2) Bull Durham

3) Eight Men Out

4) Field of Dreams

5) The Sandlot

6) Bad News Bears

Every other baseball flick I've seen has been like Angels in the Outfield and sucked.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have a hard time thinking Animal House gets made without the success of Bad News Bears.

And I always thought Talent for the Game with Edward James Olmos as a scout was pretty good.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1) Field of Dreams
    2) League of Their Own
    3) The Sandlot
    4) The Natural
    5) 61
    6) Bingo Long's Traveling All-Stars
    7) Bull Durham
    8) Bang the Drum Slowly
    9) Major League
    10) Eight Men Out

4. I know it's futile, but I have to renew my objections to that ghastly POS known as Field Of Dreams.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My dad, who spent part of his early adulthood in Big Lake, didn't recognize it in "The Rookie."

That's because they filmed the Big Lake scenes in Thorndale, Texas.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. Bull Durham
    2. Major League
    3. Pride of the Yankees
    4. The Natural
    5. League of Their Own
    6. Eight Men Out
    7. Bad News Bears
    8. The Sandlot
    9. The Rookie
    10. Rookie of the Year

EDIT: I forgot Field of Dreams. I'd put it at No. 6 and move the others down.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"I'll try get a contract out of our cheap-skate owners - Asshole and Asshole Jr."

"Son, listen to the words from the master. Women only get pregnant when they want to. It's a goddamn trap."

Awesome, awesome movie.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. We have been agreeing a ton lately. I put it number 6 on my list, but after number 5, I just had a group of movies I was hunting and pecking through. I don't love Field of Dreams nearly as much as most people. I put it on the list because so many others love it so much. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a POS, but to me it isn't the magical movie so many others saw. How do you feel about The Natural? I have loved that movie in most people's Field of Dreams way ever since I first saw it when I was 16.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why? What exactly did you not like?

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

1. Eight Men Out
    2. Field of Dreams
    3. Major League

and then everything else.

11. My objections to FOD are both aesthetic and political. First of all, it's a ghastly tear-jerking Daddy movie and Amy Harris's hippie farm-wife is enough to turn me into Jonah Goldberg. Costner seems stoned most of the time. The only moment in the movie that I actually enjoy is when James Earl Jones tells the lady at the Moorhead paper, "You're a good writer" and she says, "So are you," and pats him on the arm.
    The other problems? God, where do I start? The whole premise of the damn movie is that baseball is a mystical presence in our lives, connecting the generations even after death. As such, would it have been too much trouble for the baseball-loving people who made this film to have Shoeless Joe Jackson, the central figure to the whole plot, bat from the correct side of the plate?!!!! And having a black actor deliver a paean to the days of segregated baseball to an entirely segregated audience -- no room for Josh and Satch and Double Duty and Buck O'Neil out there in the cornfield, boys? -- revolts me more every time I see it.
    This movie should die, horribly, choking on its own self-love.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

*smile* I love that analysis. And the weird thing, as I said, is that I love The Natural. You can pick that movie apart 10 ways to Sunday, too, and I realize that a lot of people who hate the movie loved the book (I love both, for different reasons). But for me, it makes no pretense about being anything but a fairy tale with a happy ending. And for me, sometimes that is just enough -- especially if you pull it off well, score some great music and effects and the character (Redford) is likable enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted