1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Baseball Flicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

If I recall, we've done top sports movies, homer flicks, and everything else, but this guy's (http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/04/extra-innings-10-baseball-films-proving-baseball-i.html) flawed baseball movie list made me think I'd put it to the board: What are your top 10 baseball flicks.

Paste's list is flawed not only for what was included (and I'll give the guy a break on "Great Escape" because it's such a good movie), but what it doesn't -- no "Bull Durham"!?!?

Anyway, without further ado, mine:

1 - Field of Dreams (Love Kinsella's work, and they stayed pretty true to it.)
    2 - Bull Durham (Candlesticks.)
    3 - Major League (The original. Bury 2 and 3 in a shallow grave.)
    4 - The Natural (Maybe the best cinematically.)
    5 - Pride of the Yankees (Cooper was excellent, even though I hate the Yanks.)
    6 - The Sandlot (Only kid baseball movie worth its salt.)
    7 - League of Their Own (Hanks. Hanks. Hanks.)
    8 - Bad News Bears (Little league, sure, but not a kid baseball flick. Hilarious.)
    9 - For Love of the Game (I know... but cut the relationship crap and it's pretty good.)
    10 - The Rookie (Not some's cup of tea, but I thought Quaid was great.)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The tricky thing about baseball films is that they will be watched over and over and over again and they have to hold up to that.

On first viewing, Field of Dreams was probably my favorite, but I can't imagine watching it again. But I could watch Bull Duhram, Major League or the Natural from any point and always enjoy it.

3. Killick

I must be weird (okay, I know I'm weird). I watch FoD every spring, along with Major League and Bull Durham -- just tradition, before the season starts, with me.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love The Natural, as sappy and as 80s happy ending as it is.

I can't live with Major League above some of the others on that list.

I'm a sucker for Pride of the Yankees. I fell for it when I was 6 (tanglefoot!). A lot of interesting trivia regarding that movie, including the fact that Gary Cooper was really unathletic and there was no way he could pull off batting left-handed and make it look believable, so they put a backward number 4 on his back, filmed him batting right handed, had him run to third base instead of first and then reversed the film to turn him into a lefty.

I am also a sucker For Love of the Game. No one I know shares my love of the movie.

Bang The Drum Slowly, with Di Nero and Michael Moriarity should be on any list. Great and sad story, but it moves down half a notch because the baseball scenes are painful.

So should Bingo Long.

Anyhow, the way I'd rank them -- according to my likes:

1) Bull Durham
    2) The Natural
    3) Pride of the Yankees
    4) Eight Men Out
    5) Bingo Long & His Traveling All-Stars
    6) Field of Dreams
    7) Bang The Drum Slowly
    8 ) For Love of the Game
    9) Fear Strikes Out (Pure comedic value. Only actor more unathletic than Gary Cooper to ever plat a baseball player was Anthony Perkins. Bonus Points for Karl Malden as his overbearing dad).
    10) A League Of Their Own (even though the movie annoys me)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wait, somebody actually included Rookie of the Year and not Bull Durham? Utter, complete fail.

And Killick, don't get me started again on For Love of the Game. You hit on exactly why it pisses me off. The relationship was actually interesting in the book, but they fucked it up in every way possible when they changed it for the movie.

6. RickStain

Rookie of the Year ended with the Cubs winning the World Series (off screen). I'll take it.

7. Killick

Shit. Might have to revise. You brought up some I had forgotten, Ragu.
    Eight Men Out has to be in there somewhere. So does Bang the Drum.

As for Major League -- I'm a Tribe fan, grew up in NE Ohio, so it hits pretty close to home for me. It gets dusty in the room when Beringer calls his shot (both times), and when Doyle screams "The Indians win the pennant!" It's a Cleveland thing.

Yeah, love the baseball stuff (especially "You can always tell you're in New York") but hate the relationship stuff.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Can't disagree on Bull Durhman, Field of Dreams, Major League, Sandlot or The Natural. All outstanding movies in their own way.

How about 61? I enjoyed that one.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think I've seen enough of these movies to give a top 10.

Never seen the Natural, or Bull Durham from start to finish (ducks).

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mustang, why do you hate America?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Madonna's character in "A League of Their Own". [/seanconnery]

12. RickStain

You make American Jesus cry.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted