1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 American cities to travel to (according to Conde Nast Traveler)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 7, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I see that the budget crunching carries over to a milkshake too. Good to see!

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And while my Steak 'n' Shake post was a bit mocking of the place... my dad and I flew out to Indy every year for the USGP, and we'd hit Steak 'n' Shake two or three times in that weekend.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe NYC is #5. I'd pick it and SF as 1A and 1B

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, you have no idea. It's sad how little money i spend now. You realize if we go to Six Feet Under on Monday, we're eating at like McDonald's off the dollar menu on Saturday?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just south of Fredvegas. Nice.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'll pick up Saturday's tab then

you can pay for monday :)

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Been to all those on the list.

I put Charleston, Santa Fe, Carmel and Savannah in the "cute" category. But there's no way in hell those four rate above New Orleans, and I don't care if the city is covered in Pennzoil.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

new orleans is fun, but so is vegas, and that's not on the list, either.

I think there has to be more than boozing and gambling to make that list.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For those of you who want to be "in the know" like we Carmel natives, I would recommend the following stops:

1. The shrine of the birth of baby Kendra at Clarian North Medical Center.

2. Travel a little south to see the spot where John Mellencamp's original keyboard player died at the wheel after suffering a heart attack. Everything in Indiana has a Mellencamp connection!

3. Forget the Great American Songbook repository that Michael Feinstein is running in the new Palladium. If you want musical culture, go to Jonathan "Never Mender" Bender's old house and studio.

And that's just the tip of the tourist iceberg! And while you're exploring, be sure to enjoy our city's extensive network of roundabouts!

(As an aside, given someone mentioned pizza in Indy, as playthrough can attest, do yourself a favor and find Jockamo's Upper Crust Pizza in Irvington, and now open in Greenwood. The owner is an old friend of mine, but I have a vested interest in his success because he and I split Indy 500 tickets.)

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Meh. Any list like that that leaves out LA, DC and/or San Antonio is faulty. Personally, San Francisco is of no interest to me. Chicago should be #1. Indy is a great place to visit, especially on a budget.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seriously? I grew up just outside LA. I love visiting LA. But if you're a tourist with no knowledge of the area, I think LA would seem like a dump by a nice beach.

Everyone I know who has visited San Antonio -- and I mean every single person who went there, business or pleasure -- thought it was a shithole.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where's Jacksonville? *ducks and runs*

And Boston only bringing up the rear in the top 10 is #epicfail.

Draft saved Draft deleted