1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toomer's Corner trees: Who wrote it better?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Aug 14, 2011.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Don't have an opinion on the subject of the thread, but do want to say Tommy Tomlinson is one of precious few reasons to read The Charlotte Observer these days.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thompson was lost because the trees were not eatable.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Euell Gibbons says not so fast, my friend.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can buy this way of thinking about it, that Thompson's piece is more interesting to the insider. The length was a major concern for me, and I'm someone who has no issue with reading long things. The content just wasn't worth it.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Just finished Tomlinson's in SI, and I must say that one would be hard to beat. Haven't read Thompson's yet, but wow the SI one has everything from the background of the tradition to insight into the idiot who did it...allegedly :)

Must say, I think most people want to know about what kind of person does something like this, and Tomlinson's story goes deep into that. And man, I won't give away the story, but what a lunatic, and I'm afraid its infected his seedlings.

6. After reading both, Tomlinson's had better impact and was written better all around.

As an aside, does anybody else find it ironic that Updyke didn't even attend Alabama?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some of the most diehard Alabama fans never stepped foot on campus. Any campus.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, around here many claim to be Ducks, but couldn't find a lecture hall if you gave them $100 bill to do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted