1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too Soon?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SPH, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SPH

SPH New Member

Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some career advice.

I'm currently working for a trade magazine and I kind of hate it. The writing is so vanilla and repetitious, I write the same stories every day it seems. I've only been with them for six months, but I kind of want to find something else. However, it is my first full time position in the field, so I'm not certain that it will qualify as sufficient experience.

My past work as been on a freelance basis and I have also worked regularly for an alternative press for about a year. I am currently the managing editor of that paper, but unfortunately they aren't big enough to hire on another editorial member full time.

I guess my question is should I try and parlay my past experience coupled with my current position, albeit short lived, and try to find a new job or should I stick it out where I am longer and build my resume?

I'm also afraid that any publication I apply at would look at my resume and think I'm a job hopper, which is hardly the case.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes, it'll always be too soon for a Karen Carpenter joke.

Oh, SPH, not BYH. Never mind.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Christ skip: how many handles do you need?

I kid, I kid.

But whatever you decide to do on your resume, you can BY GOD hurry it up and fetch us all a beer newbie!

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's never too soon to find a better job, especially if you're unhappy. There is no rule that you have to stay at a certain job for any period of time. If they ask why you want to leave so soon or have "hopped jobs" just be honest and tell them you found better opportunities.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Do you cover the Packers?

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I left my first job after 9 months. I got some questions about it in the interview for my next job so be prepared with a good answer. But as long as you have a good answer, you will be fine.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I quit my first job after six weeks. It was a disaster.

Of course, that was in the mid 90s when the job market was completely different.

There's no harm in looking around, but be choosy. Sometimes the grass is greener, sometimes, in the haste to solve one problem, you create another.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why do my fingers smell like Dinty Moore?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't get it, but no.

Draft saved Draft deleted