1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too soon for Cory Lidle jokes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 27, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you. I'll make sure to put that in my application for the SJ '06 Awards. ;)

Oh, and the word you neglected to spell there is "fucking." Try it sometime. You might be able to laugh more, too.

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Actually Revenge, I am a lot of fun to be around. I enjoy looking at the positive aspects of life, I am able to laugh at myself and others, and I have a cheerful disposition.

If you think I'm pompous because I find black humour distasteful, then I guess I'm pompous....and I'm proud of it.

Like you, I have lost a child - my first son died when he was four weeks old. He suffered a great deal during his life, and I defy anybody on this board to make a joke or witty remark about his death that could be funny or humorous.

Human suffering is sad...it is not funny.

I hope you have a good day.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm sorry about your son, nobody should have to go through anything like that.
    But the only reason I responded was to let you know i had nothing more to say to you, that I didn't want to get dragged down into a quagmire like can happen on this board sometimes.
    I think you're boring and pompous, you think I'm crass. Can't go much farther from there.
    Enjoy yourself.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is it too soon to joke about these historical examples of the word "fuck" where human suffering was involved?

"What the fuck was that?"
    - Mayor of Hiroshima

"Where the fuck is all this water coming from?"
    - Captain of the Titanic

"That's not a real fucking gun."
    - John Lennon

"I don't suppose its gonna fucking rain?"
    - Joan of Arc

"Scattered fucking showers my ass."
    - Noah

"I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in my head."
    - John F. Kennedy

"Where the fuck did all these Indians come from?"
    - Gen. Custer

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Classic stuff. :D

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Stretch.... sorry to read about your son. One of my good friends had a son who died at four days old and I attended the funeral.

Some people deal with the pain of a tragedy that doesn't directly effect them through humor rather than being empathetic to the pain. Others deal with personal pain through humor. I was making a joke about my father's death the day he died after a six month battle with cancer. He died the same day Bush was being inaugurated for his first term. I cracked the joke "I knew my dad didn't want to see Bush as president, but I didn't think he'd go to this extreme to do it." Am I cruel or insensitive for making jokes like that or is it permissible because it was dealing with/coping with pain through humor?

Draft saved Draft deleted