1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too soon for Cory Lidle jokes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 27, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess it's OK for Dan Snyder jokes.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

3. Q: What's the difference between a puck and a Porsche?

A: Pelle Lindberg could stop a puck

(Sorry was that too soon?)

4. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

A little too soon for the Cory Lidle jokes, I think..... but it's been 20 years since the Challenger disaster.
    By the way, where did Christa McAuliffe go on vacation?
    All over Florida.
    I think, for some people, humor is a way to cope with tragedies and sadness.
    If you can't laugh at some point, you aren't alive.

6. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

1 year, 20 years or 200 years...what difference does it make?

Making a joke about an astronaut's remains being scattered over the state of Florida after her shuttle explodes is not funny...it is callous.

Making a joke about a person who died when his plane crashed into a building is not funny...it is insensitive.

It is so easy to make jokes about something when you have no personal involvement in the situation. If you had a personal relationship with one of the Challenger crew or with Cory Lidle, I doubt you would make any such jokes.

I agree that if you don't laugh, you aren't alive...but at least have the common decency and respect not to laugh at or make fun of situations that involve human suffering, the loss of someone's wife/husband/mother/father/child.

There is absolutely nothing funny about a husband losing his wife, a child losing a parent, a friend losing a friend. And if you think there is humor in that then I feel sorry for you.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

What does Archduke Ferdinand have in common with a plant?

Oh shit, it has been so long, I forgot the punch line.

8. old_tony

Yeah, lighten up. Is that so hard to understand?

By the way, if it's a really bad pull to the left off the tee, you could call it a Thurman Munson, too. And if you pull a putt to the left you could also call it a Lou Gehrig. Or a Babe Ruth.

Lighten up, Stretch. Life is dour enough.

9. old_tony

You're really going to hate my costume for a party tomorrow. Khaki shorts, khaki shirt, light brown boots, khaki green socks ... and a toy stingray sticking out of my chest.

10. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

For his next set, old_tony is going to make jokes about AIDS babies, victims of the tsunami, starving kids in Ethiopia, and the Columbine shooting victims.

If anybody can find humor in these dour events, it is our very own old_tony. And I can't wait to hear your witty jokes about the Amish school children who were assaulted and executed. Funny stuff there.

11. old_tony

You must cry yourself to sleep every night, what with all the sufferin' in the world.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted