1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

too soon for christmas tree?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 24, 2012.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

not in the shockster's house. mrs. shockey, eldest heir shockey and his gf, blondie, are getting it done now. i protested on behalf of the two younger shockey heirs, who are galavanting about our town and nyc. but mrs. shockey cannot be stopped when she decides, 'it's time for the tree!'

i understand some folks believe the saturday after thanksgiving is THE annual day for treedom but being raised as a chanukah boy i defer to the mrs. actually, i defer to the mrs. on just about every matter these days. yup, i have absolutely no hand, in seinfeldspeak.

there's something to be said for this. eliminates the squabbling almost entirely. but you definitely pay for it due to the reduction in household passion. oh, well. anyhoo...

back on point, have others also done the tree decorating today? ??? ??? ???

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My family's tradition was to put the tree up on Friday After Thanksgiving and take it down on New Year's Day. This year, I'm not bothering with any of it.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, ours also comes down new year's day.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We used to put our tree up the Friday after Thanksgiving. But the only decorations we have up right now are outside.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Shockey, there is something really nice about putting up the tree the day after Thanksgiving (or the Saturday, as it were for you.) Personally, this is what I always did with my kids. To hell with the black Friday crap. Back Friday was Red and Green Friday for us, as it was a family-affair that focused on decorating for Christmas.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My mom has ALWAYS put up their tree(s) on Thanksgiving night. This year, since I visited with my devil dog AND we went shopping that night, she's putting it up tomorrow after I'm out of the house.

It feels a little weird to NOT have it up.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Must be an American thing.

In this here parts, ten days before the big day is the earliest; otherwise, your tree will dry out and drop all its needles.

Artificial trees are in the same league as the DH rule. Universally accepted but an affront to purists. :)

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would never put a real tree in my house. Ever.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I tried the real tree thing a few times. It just doesn't work well in an area where they don't grow naturally.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was a hardcore real tree purist. Then I moved to Phoenix. Paid through the nose for a real tree and watched it die within about a week. Switched to artificial the next year.

And ours is going up this weekend.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I've never had one in my own place either, or any decorations at all. (my mom tried sending me decorations once when I was in college, but an atheist and his Jewish roommate are not big practitioners of Christmas decor). When I was growing up it was always the second Saturday of December, regardless of what date that was. Then we spend the holiday itself at my grandmother's place and the tree would be gone the day we got back. My sister always takes her tree down the 26th or 27th since my niece's birthday is the 28th and wants no reminder of the holiday around on her birthday.
    Staying with my mom for the weekend as is my other sister and her kids and my 5 year old nephew was insisting today that we put up decorations. My mom's not ready to get a tree quite yet so she relented by bringing out a couple of smaller decorations.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What, no pine trees in Phoenix? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted