1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

First of all, congratulations on getting the columnist gig!

One piece of advice I would impart would be to talk with your editor to find out if there are certain expectations he or she has for your column work.

I also agree with those who say you should report with the tenacity of the best reporters out there. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean you get to spout off about the first thing on your mind. Back up your points with facts. And for God's sake, just because it's your opinion doesn't absolve you of libel. Be as careful with your column writing as you would be reporting a crime story.

Like someone else said, don't be afraid to take a stand ... or not to take one. If you don't feel strongly about an issue after doing the reporting on it, don't force writing a column on it.

Be willing to re-examine your closely held beliefs and allow yourself to change your mind if you feel it's right. Along those lines, don't be afraid of different perspectives, but don't be a slave to them.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sigh.

Despite shotglass' latest succumbing to his constant urge to act like a know-it-all douchebag, I send congratulations.

Question everything, including yourself. Figure out why you feel the way you do when writing a column, and those answers will prove compelling reading. I look forward to reading your stuff (pretty sure it's easy to figure out just which of our wunderkinds you are . . .). You earned this position. I believe that people in lofty positions must re-earn those positions every single day. The fact that you are cognizant of what a great opportunity this is for you indicates that you will prove yourself every time out. And that will keep readers coming back.

As long as it's not just a fantasy football column. [/kidding]

Good luck to you.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The smart-ass comment, the serious answer and the apology are about three days old. It was long forgotten until you gave it new life.

But hey, it was good.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

My guess is that if you have to come onto this forum and ask if this job is "too much, too soon," then it probably is.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

If you aim to be Jim Murray instead of just another smug bastard, you'll be fine.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or, maybe the person isn't a pompous fuck who simply wanted some honest feedback.

one of the two, i'm sure.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

so who is this guy?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how do you know it's a guy?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Might want to read forum rules about outing there, noob. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted