1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Read Death of a Racehorse, if you haven't already (and if you have, read it again).
    Read the greats of the art, and not just in sports. Breslin. Royko. Dan Barry.
    Tell stories. Use small stories to illustrate your big points. And report the shit out of them.
    And remember that the best columnists almost never write about themselves.
    Good luck. Have fun. And pay no mind to the cranks.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I can't tell if this is an insult or a compliment haha.... so if it's an insult I say, Coors Lite OK? And if it's a compliment....well, um, thanks, what'll you have?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you weren't nervous and daunted, you probably wouldn't be any good.

Don't be afraid to piss people off and stir things up, but only be a real bastard to other bastards.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, that's pretty damned good advice.

5. dmurph003

dmurph003 Member

I've always felt that the best reporters and the best columnists share at least one trait, and that's the recognition that there are multiple spectrums through which to view a particular subject. The most interesting and most real writing - and, by extension, the most interesting and most real columns - acknowledge those shades of gray.

There are many Black-and-White Columnists out there -- I don't mean African-American and Caucasian -- and while being one and proclaiming it at the top of one's lungs is a good way to get oneself on television, I find it boring.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sage, dammit.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, seriously now.

If even a rather clueless executive moved you into a columnist's role, he saw a glimmer somewhere. If he saw that glimmer, others will too. You apparently have exhibited that "twist of a phrase" that they're looking for. I am not making sport of that ability; I respect it.

There's your resume. Do not question it. You're in. You have the super-secret password. Now run with it. And don't question yourself so damn much.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know who this person is. this person can write his/her ass off. i think being 24 might be keeping this person from saying, "yeah, i'll bring it all day ... bitch."

s/he'll do well ... until the world of journalism crumbles, of course.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, well, you could at least credit me with a far-sighted, mature post smacking of the experience of the ages.

Bee-otch.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to take this moment to credit you for a far-sighted, mature post smacking of the experience of the ages.

once again, one of your posts made me stop, and ponder a bigger dynamic in this little thing that we call life. thank you. thank you for taking the time to post among mere mortals.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fuckin' A. I need more hops and barley.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Good luck. And may your column-writing style be leagues above your post-writing style.

Draft saved Draft deleted